Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lawrencefield Quarry near Surprise View car park, Hathersage.

The standard of Astrolandscapes on SGL is just getting better and better and is becoming quite hard to keep up. Undeterred I decided to cut the sky almost completely and have a go at light painting a quarry ! It sounded easy enough sat at home but after I'd risked life and limb scrambling down to the base, I discovered it wasn't easy at all. On such a large scale this inverse square law stuff with torch light takes a bit of imagination and if you notice, there's a pond in the way of walking about 🤔

I took quite a few shots of the foreground but ended up only using five and one refocused for the close in rocks - Nikon Z6, Sigma 14mm lens, ISO 800, f4 and 60 seconds. I counted to 10 with the light on and hoped the remaining 50 seconds would help naturally illuminate the rock face. It didn't as the quarry was pitch black !

In comparison the sky was a doddle. 10 x ISO 8oo, f1.8 and 20 seconds.

Sequator for the sky, Lightroom and Photoshop.

Quarry layers2.jpg

• Like 10

Wow ... E5 ! I once managed an E2 on a climbing wall but stuck to S if it was high and perhaps E1 if it was just off the ground. I went off piste when I got there and that's why it was a scramble to get down. I actually followed the path on the way back up and it was a lot easier !

It's a very small LED light I use and it doesn't say what the temperature is. I guess around daylight as it balances reasonably well at 5000k. I will get round to buying a proper light one day, honest.

Dave.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

That is one colossal piece of light painting, Dave!! Very well done. 

I love seeing all the nightscapes on here at the moment. To my eye, it’s such an interesting thing to do and so many options to be creative.  

Thanks Paul. You, of course, are one of the people driving up the quality and I enjoy the fact that more people are getting involved. Creativity is one area I have trouble with so take loads of shots and hope for the best 🤫

Dave.

19 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I know this place well :smile:

It's like a secret little dell. If you don't know it's there you could easily miss seeing it. The trees have grown round it quite a bit.

18 hours ago, AstroAndy said:

Wow, I came for the stars, and stayed for the faerie landscape.

Cheers Andy. It came out better than I thought.

Edited by davew
  • Like 2