Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galaxies aren’t polluters!

Stu

Although interesting, I found the language in this article somewhat annoying, describing galaxies as the great polluters. Seemingly putting oxygen, carbon, iron and other elements into space is considered polluting, rather than seeding the universe with the elements needed for life. Or perhaps using the word pollution ensures the story is picked up by more news outlets? 🤪🤪

http://news.sky.com/story/galaxies-are-the-great-polluters-new-research-finds-12395070

To me it almost reads as if the author is deliberately trying to obfuscate issues about pollution.  Even the use of the words "clean" and "polluted" seem inappropriate in the context of the processes being described.

James

• Like 1

Yes interesting article and complete misuse of the term ‘pollution‘, as you say. It looks like  the original researcher referred to inflows which are “unpolluted” and outflows which are no longer “nice and clean”, so I think it’s a bit of dramatic license from an excited research team, which has been turned into an opportunity for an attention grabbing headline by the journalist. Bit daft really. I’m wondering why that galaxy was so unique though as I thought there were numerous bright edge on galaxies?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VNA said:

Hello: Is pollution always bad? I am thinking of spring air full of tiny seeds? (hay fever)

I'd say, pollution: yes. Pollination: no. Pollen is nasty stuff that can destroy the coating on optics. And it's much harder to remove than regular dust.