Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 21st Aug

neil phillips

Should have used the Newtonian. Was some good seeing on occasion. Still the refractor has pulled some detail out. 

BRESSER 127L refractor  QHY462C Camera. QHY IR UV CUT Filter. BAARDER 495 LONGPASS Filter. ZWO ADC. Celestron Omni 2x barlow screwed directly into the ADC

EQ5 Mount. 2 min capture.  

sgl bresser 21st aug.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Good detail for 5" Neil. Ate you finding significant improvement with the ADC?

Chris

Still learning about the ADC Chris. But the better images did coincide with the ADC being used. did a ton of earlier shots without it for comparison. 

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Still learning about the ADC Chris. But the better images did coincide with the ADC being used. did a ton of earlier shots without it for comparison. 

I've tried with and without with my Mak, and I see definite improvement even compared with rgb align in AS or Registax. Visually with an EP I would say I can see more detail in J's belts and certainly more ring detail with S. Improves the muddy appearance of S near the horizon too.

Chris

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Fantastic result. Don't often see planetary images like that from fracs

Hi Craig shame it wasnt a apo. As there is little i could do with colour. But detail and contrast are quite good for a 5"  Something very unusual actually. Could see colour fringing without the ADC upon putting the ADC in with it set in the NULL position. There was no fringing. i mean absolutely none. So much so i actually didnt spread the levers. didnt see the point when there was no fringing. I had earlier images to show the ADC was correcting for comparison. Question is. How can this be, i thought the null position meant no correction. But this cant be right in this instance.  Because there was a definite correction. I thought about what you said re the distance to sensor reducing correction. Could that in some way explain this i wonder ? 

8 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I've tried with and without with my Mak, and I see definite improvement even compared with rgb align in AS or Registax. Visually with an EP I would say I can see more detail in J's belts and certainly more ring detail with S. Improves the muddy appearance of S near the horizon too.

Chris

Yes Chris i dont doubt it. It will have a de smearing effect. The reason we bother to put something else in the imaging train. I am still finding my feet. You likely are more clued up on it than me. ADC newbie alert. Your thoughts on my question regarding null position correction Chris ? 

Edited by neil phillips

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Craig shame it wasnt a apo. As there is little i could do with colour. But detail and contrast are quite good for a 5"  Something very unusual actually. Could see colour fringing without the ADC upon putting the ADC in with it set in the NULL position. There was no fringing. i mean absolutely none. So much so i actually didnt spread the levers. didnt see the point when there was no fringing. I had earlier images to show the ADC was correcting for comparison. Question is. How can this be, i thought the null position meant no correction. But this cant be right in this instance.  Because there was a definite correction. I thought about what you said re the distance to sensor reducing correction. Could that in some way explain this i wonder ? 

Not sure on that one, no idea how the ADC could correct the dispersion with both levers being together...  unless somehow one of the levers is in the wrong hole on the prism and so it's actually at maximum correction. 

Each of the two prisms on mine have two threaded holes in the edge of the prism. In order for the ADC to work one prism must have it's lever connected to the thick edge of the prism and the other prism must have it's lever in the thin edge. This way when the levers are together the prism wedges are opposite and cancel each other out.

I wonder if yours has been fiddled with in the past and someone might have put one of the levers back in the wrong hole. 

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Playing with colour balance and processing. Not going to get anything close to correct colour.

Not sure what is correct color, but how about this:

jupiter.jpg.548900c8c59c0297145dc87fcdcb6727.jpg

Or maybe this - a bit more saturated and warmer version:

jupiter2.jpg.6dd3f10be09a6165f9ddbe97b5c26e05.jpg

• Like 2

Neil this is that CN post I was talking about. The first post has a test image to look at through the ADC, works best on a monitor with the saturation turned up. Should show you what is happening when you move the levers

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/525563-for-users-of-the-new-zwo-adc-important/

Edited by CraigT82

53 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Not sure what is correct color, but how about this:

jupiter.jpg.548900c8c59c0297145dc87fcdcb6727.jpg

Or maybe this - a bit more saturated and warmer version:

jupiter2.jpg.6dd3f10be09a6165f9ddbe97b5c26e05.jpg

Both look like good tweaks. Its a shame achros have this problem. But i primarily got it for the moon. So its useful for planets. I should have got the big newt out. but it was too late

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Not sure on that one, no idea how the ADC could correct the dispersion with both levers being together...  unless somehow one of the levers is in the wrong hole on the prism and so it's actually at maximum correction. 

Each of the two prisms on mine have two threaded holes in the edge of the prism. In order for the ADC to work one prism must have it's lever connected to the thick edge of the prism and the other prism must have it's lever in the thin edge. This way when the levers are together the prism wedges are opposite and cancel each other out.

I wonder if yours has been fiddled with in the past and someone might have put one of the levers back in the wrong hole. 

Will have to look into this then Craig. I got it new, so its should have been new. I will contact. the seller. Just out of interest, is it easy for me to check if the null position is in a cancelled position ? 

55 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Neil this is that CN post I was talking about. The first post has a test image to look at through the ADC, works best on a monitor with the saturation turned up. Should show you what is happening when you move the levers

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/525563-for-users-of-the-new-zwo-adc-important/

Cheers for that. will have a look at this 

5 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yes Chris i dont doubt it. It will have a de smearing effect. The reason we bother to put something else in the imaging train. I am still finding my feet. You likely are more clued up on it than me. ADC newbie alert. Your thoughts on my question regarding null position correction Chris ? 

Not sure. With my set-up, I have the Barlow inside the nosepiece of the camera, which goes into the ADC which in turn goes into the flip mirror, which is in the back of the scope (1 1/4" adapter). With this, the levers are on the rhs. My usual setting is one 45 degrees up, one 45 degrees down. this removes the visual AD on Jupiter or Saturn when it is say 20 degrees up. If I move the levers to the central (zero) position, the AD is obvious, it disappears as I open the levers.

Re colour balance, I think Vlav's adjustment above is about right - what I see through the EP. many images have had the colour saturation wound up which looks pretty, but it's overdone in my very humble opinion. The original looks greenish on both my monitor and my phone.

Chris

17 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Not sure. With my set-up, I have the Barlow inside the nosepiece of the camera, which goes into the ADC which in turn goes into the flip mirror, which is in the back of the scope (1 1/4" adapter). With this, the levers are on the rhs. My usual setting is one 45 degrees up, one 45 degrees down. this removes the visual AD on Jupiter or Saturn when it is say 20 degrees up. If I move the levers to the central (zero) position, the AD is obvious, it disappears as I open the levers.

Re colour balance, I think Vlav's adjustment above is about right - what I see through the EP. many images have had the colour saturation wound up which looks pretty, but it's overdone in my very humble opinion. The original looks greenish on both my monitor and my phone.

Chris

Cheers for the response. Here is a example of the colour fringing i was seeing with the ADC In null position. Looking at the ADC again today it wasnt quite null position, about 3mms one lever over slightly So a tiny amount of correction. Any way all i can see ( this has been run through pipp) with histo balance done on RGB channels seperately. Which wont affect fringing perhaps a hint of blue at the top. Thats all i can see

00_24_56_pipp.zip

Great work from the bresser Neil although im not suprised how good these scopes are! Regarding the adc mine is the ash type and is a lefty, does nothing the other way around! Wall to wall cloud here its like living in a cave lol!

Edited by si@nite

Nice image, with my ZWO ADC I have the levers at about +/- 50 degrees from horizontal. I use Firecapture which has a nice ADC calibration feature. When viewing on screen in colour, it has a red and blue circle which you need to overlap, it changes to white as it overlaps. Seems to work for me.  I did find over the past few years that I ran out of adjustment with the levers and couldn't correct the Planets below 20 degrees altitude. No issues with Jupiter at the moment. Last year with Mars, I hardly needed to move the levers from null because the planet was approx 50 degs.

I always have to boost saturation with the OSC cameras. I find the image too yellow when captured, so I tweak the colour balance towards blue to compensate as well.

Colour balance is much harder with OSC compared to RGB.

Peter

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

Great work from the bresser Neil although im not suprised how good these scopes are! Regarding the adc mine is the ash type and is a lefty, does nothing the other way around! Wall to wall cloud here its like living in a cave lol!

My first experiance with these fracs. and i have to say they are indeed as good as people say they are. A real bargain. And should be great for the moon with this kind of performance on planets. 

Cheers Simon.

52 minutes ago, astroman001 said:

Nice image, with my ZWO ADC I have the levers at about +/- 50 degrees from horizontal. I use Firecapture which has a nice ADC calibration feature. When viewing on screen in colour, it has a red and blue circle which you need to overlap, it changes to white as it overlaps. Seems to work for me.  I did find over the past few years that I ran out of adjustment with the levers and couldn't correct the Planets below 20 degrees altitude. No issues with Jupiter at the moment. Last year with Mars, I hardly needed to move the levers from null because the planet was approx 50 degs.

I always have to boost saturation with the OSC cameras. I find the image too yellow when captured, so I tweak the colour balance towards blue to compensate as well.

Colour balance is much harder with OSC compared to RGB.

Peter

Hi Peter. Getting help from Craig on this. It seems the ADC might have a problem. its likely going back. No wonder i have had issues getting up to speed with it. Cheers for that info. Every bit of good knowledge helps 

33 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

Looks like that achro is proving itself. Interesting comments about the ADC. Never used one but they seem to get a good press generally on this forum. Yet something else to spend money on !!!! 

Thanks Trevor. i think once the images have a lot of the problems ironed out. ADCs are like a further fine tuning. Thats the way i see them. My ADC  might be going back. as i think there is a problem with it unfortunately. But i will be getting another to replace it from somewhere.