NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pulsar Observatories service ?

johninderby

Pulsar Observatories service ?

Hi

I ordered a Barlow lens from Pulsar Observatories a few weeks ago (would normally order from someone like FLO but they didn't have the one I wanted) and still haven't received it. I have telephoned a couple of times and have been told both times that "It has just been posted, you'll get it in a day or two". Well it's now been a full week since the last time that I was assured that it had been posted and still nothing. Is this typical of them?

Pulsar Observatories

http://www.pulsar-observatories.com/index.html

John

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that you're right, they're probably on the same site or next door. Different phone numbers though, and it's not the same people that you get if you call Scopes and Skies. Anyway I've now sent an email requesting a refund.

One day I'd really like a proper Obs but guess which supplier is not on my list any more.

John

It is Pulsar Optical that is on the same site as Nature and Astronomy Centre and Scopes and Skies not Pulsar Observatories.

Pulsar Observatories are run by Gary Walker who did originally start Pulsar Optical but he has left and moved to Spain with his observatory business.

I have a Pulsar Obervatory dome and can only say that all my dealings with Gary have been first class.

My few dealings (in my early days) however with Pulsar Optical have been similar to the one quoted above.

Andy

Sadly Pulsar Optical as its been said have moved to Spain leaving their ordering back here in the Uk , ordering through the Nature and and Astronomy Centre.

My dealings with Gary were first class , although having aload of troubles with my Dome ,they never stopped coming to sort it out .

However when Gary moved, i tried speaking with the Nature and Astronomy Centre as i needed some more work done on the Dome, A number of phone calls never got me anywhere , just promises that they would phone back , no such luck , luckily i still had the fitters phone number who done my Dome , he was great and came around to sort me out ,even though he had lost his job with Pulsars move.

So without pointing the finger ,that should give you some idea who you are dealing with.

Rog

Rog,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can say I have had no issues with mine (to date).

When I was sorting out my dome I rang or emailed Gary direct who always answered or was quick to respond to my emails.

I never had any dealings with Pulsar Optical regarding my dome, as far as Gary told me late last year Pulsar Optical and Pulsar Observatories are 2 totally different separate entities now with no connection. Pulsar Optical are still based in the UK and are one of the UK agents for his domes as are TH and several other UK dealers.

Andy

I ordered a HEQ5 dec extension shaft from them, using the astrofest 5% off code, and didn't hear from them for over a week. Rang them up and chased it and got it within a couple of days. Have never had a problem with scopes and skies and have actually got some very good bargins, a pair of 5" guidescope rings for £25 for example and always delivered within a coiuple of days. Though when at astrofest the woman on the astronomy and nature stall was a bit rude and abrupt with me when I asked about the dec shaft If it hadn't have been for the discount would have bought from elsewhere.

If Pulsar Observatories and Pulsar Optical and Scopes’n’Skies aren't connected it's a bit odd that while I placed the order on the Pulsar Observatories website the credit card charge reads Pulsar Optical.

Haven't answered their phone when I tried calling yesterday and this morning and haven't replied to my email.

Now reaching the boiling point..........................

If I don't get some sort of answer today I'm turning the matter over to the credit card company to get my money back.

John

John,

All I can say is my dealing with Gary at Pulsar Observatories have been good, my receipts have all been from Pulsar Observatories C.B. at an Alicante, Spain address and account. My few dealings with Pulsar Optical however would not lead me to recommend them !

I have no idea as to why yours are different as I have no affiliation or connection with them (in case people start to think this). I think you should definitely do as you say and let the CC company deal with it, hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Andy

I got back to the credit card company as they had told me the transaction was showing as being from Pulsar Optical, but after checking found that wasn't quite correct. It was actually showing as from "Pulsar Opticalmarch" so it looks as if it may not have had anything to do with Pulsar Optical after all.

However that still doesn't excuse the service from Pulsar Observatories though. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this on Monday.

John

Pulsar optical are the dealers in the UK for Pulsar Observatories, but I suspect they are more closely linked. Be as it may I have bought several items from them including my SW 120ED at 10% discount (they gave me a voucher when I bought some accessories) which suprised me it was valid for the scope. They take about 10 real days to deliver my orders, they even upgraded a couple of EPs after contacting me when I bought a set and they were out of a couple of sizes. So I have not had a problem with them but many have. Don't bother Emailing that is a waste of time and I don't know why they advertise it, telephone - difficult to get an answer but they do answer sometimes.

Goods not received but paid for I would contact trading standards.

It seems so hit/miss with these guys!

the woman on the astronomy and nature stall was a bit rude and abrupt with me

Sounds like the same woman that chucked me out the shop awhile back,my crime was to go in the shop how was i to know they was closed it had a open sign on the door when i went in.

I've avoided anything to do with Pulsar/scope & skies or the astronomy & nature centre ever since and just sat back and watched the complaints about them on here and UKAI.

All the best.

Martin

Well what do you know the barlow arrived this morning by express courier. Is it a coincidence that I asked them for a refund on Friday and told them I would be contacting the credit card company?

Also proves that The Astronomy & Nature Center (Pulsar Optical, Scopes'n'Skies) and Pulsar Observatories are definately related as the package shows it was shipped from The Astronomy & Nature Center.

John

I had a bad experience with Pulsar Optical and put up a web page warning prospective customers they don't reply to emails or answer the phone.

If you do manage to speak to them they make false promises.

Here is part of the email they sent to my web host:

The website infringes the long standing rights of ownership and use of the

Pulsar Optical trading name by "passing off" as a Pulsar Optical site. The

website was designed to do malicious damage and we are deeply distressed to

find your company hosting this material and demand that it is removed and

deleted immediately.

At this stage we are prepared to believe that you have no prior knowledge of

this site, however - if you in anyway seek to defend the site or disown it

we will insist that your maintenance of the website in such direct

connection to your own constitutes a knowing endorsement.

We will also look favorably on your position if you assist us in locating

the offender by disclosing to us the full name and address details of your

client.

We are deeply distressed by this slander and intend a vigorous pursuit of

the publisher and will be demanding substantial punitive compensation.

We are deeply distressed by this slander and intend a vigorous pursuit of

the publisher and will be demanding substantial punitive compensation.

Well it isn't slander - which is a statement in a transitory form, most typically speech - but libel. It's quite possible to libel someone online, but...
If the facts posted are true then, as I understand, it is not libellous or slanderous.
...justification (i.e. truth) and fair comment are both defences, which means that the defendant must prove that the statement was either factual or a view that the "reasonable man" of common law fame could have held. Expensive game though, the usual burden of proof is somewhat reversed in defamation cases so that a defamatory statement is presumed false unless the defendant can prove it true ... in other words, you're guilty of libel unless you can prove innocence.

If you do publish this sort of thing online then you do need to be very careful and factual in what you say, and the reversed burden of proof of defamation law can make it very expensive even if you're right. However, any reasonable ISP should throw the sort of barrack-room lawyer email above straight into the bin, a proper take-down notice should get the terminology correct and cite the relevant case-law...

Gary of Pulsar Observatories called me this afternoon and we had a good chat about things. He explained that Pulsar Observatories and Pulsar Optical are indeed separate businesses. However when Astro Engineering drop ships an order within the UK for Pulsar Observatories it is actually shipped by Pulsar Optical as they do all the shipping for Astro Engineering. Hope that clarifies the situation.

Gary was away for a week and so couldn't sort out things until he got back. Apparently he had been told by Astro Engineering that my order had been shipped on time and it wasn't until he got back that he found out that this wasn't so and sorted it out.

He's not very impressed with Pulsar Optical at the moment as their performance when shipping Astro Engineering items leaves a lot to be desired. In Gary's words " I've got some sorting out to do ".

John

Archived