Book Project: Discovering Double Stars

Ags

Experimenting with adding DSOs to the charts. This is a debugging view with the charts monochrome and the new elements (DSOs) highlighted in green. I might cut down the objects to only Messiers and Caldwells. In addition, the DSOs are only included where they do not crowd the double finder circles.

image.thumb.png.2e0d21fcb45fa31b41e2b738d0754c09.png

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Sweating the small stuff... I made the symbol for DSOs more fuzzy, and changed star labels to a smaller size and deep grey to make them less in-your-face. Still pushing labels around on the pages. 

I am also adding a few pages on the brightest clusters and the doubles in them.

image.png.e8ea88c41420cf48c0657ee077f56ade.png

• Like 5

I have put the new version online, so I would really appreciate anoyone taking the trouble to have a look and give feedback.

Discovering Double Stars (discovering-astronomy.eu)

I am waiting for the print proof to do a deep edit on the book, it has a had a few screen edits, but paper shows the issues 100% better.

The new version is not added to any marketplaces yet.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Agnes

I saw only now your message.

I downloaded the revised edition, thank you for asking opinions.

I will come back soon. Just as a first impression is looking very, very good. 

Regards, Mircea

• Like 1

I have added 7mm to the page margins and resolved the resulting page break issues. There were some glitches in the table of contents too. I have been working on the high-contrast black and white version too.

image.png.51b5dca6445fb9c28b8cb7fda62c8517.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It must be Christmas.... because the book is ready!!!

I am pleased to announce that Discovering Double Stars II is now available for free download and from Amazon or Lulu. It covers 950 doubles and includes a stack of deep sky objects too! I have rethought the layout to make even more usable in the field (or in your recliner while sipping iced tea). Have a look at the PDF here (identical to the print PDF with one extra page to get correct facing pages in PDF viewers):

https://discovering-astronomy.eu/discovering_doubles.html

Also I have ensured there are print options in both color and black and white to shave a few pennies from printing costs.

• Thanks 5

• 4 months later...

The two versions have different advantages - the first version has larger individual finder charts per double, while the newer version maps whole areas showing multiple doubles. Version 2 covers about twice as many doubles.

I did think of retiring the first version, but got feedback to keep both available.

• Like 3

I've been using the first version (pdf) when I get in to check things when I spot an unplanned double but book 2 I think will be better for dedicated double work as a newbie as I can move about easily hunting them down.  I think.

I'm probably going to buy the 1st version at the star of the month.  I think they will be very much complimentary rather than one being an upgrade over the other.

• Like 3

On 18/02/2023 at 20:17, fozzybear said:

just ordered from the long river

Discovering Double Stars II: Double Stars for Light Polluted Skies (Black and White Version) Broché – 12 septembre 2022

Arrived today in the post well impressed. Thankyou @Ags👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Ags said:

I am happy to say Discovering Double Stars II is now available from FLO.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/discovering-double-stars-ii-by-agnes-clarke.html

This is good news, because your book is excellent.

Of all the double star resources I have experience with, your has the best layout imo. I just love the fact that you have a map on one page, and a handfull of doubles on the other. Especially for quick grab-and-go session, without any planning. I am planning to download the pdf as well, and make small A5 printouts with the map on one side, and the list of doubles on the other, for quick and easy access with my ultra portable setup. I advice all double stars fans to at least take a look at the (free!) pdf. 

Well done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I have a question on the Discovering Double Stars II book - I've just received my copy (colour edition, spiral bound), looks great but it doesn't have the position angle line on the finder circles. Is there a reason why they were removed? The version I have is 2022-2. The PDF version is currently 2022-1 and has the PA lines. Thanks

• Confused 1