Jump to content

NLC-Banner.thumb.jpg.acb5ba835b9e8bf0718b90539633017d.jpg

Book Project: Discovering Double Stars


Ags
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Ags said:

It's been a hectic day with rapid-fire changes. People don't know how exciting being a technical writer is. 🤣

A cup of tea and bed for me... 😴

Exciting for us too Agnes. You’ve done very well. Have a well deserved rest.

But tomorrow can you let us know your schedule for releasing the Messier and Caldwell books please? 👍🏻

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@badhex I have been testing with a ZS66 so I expect the ZS73 will work really well.

@JeremyS I will start work on my next book shortly, probably a Messier/Caldwell spotting guide and log. That's the one I will use most myself. Although I am tempted to also add a bunch of planetaries and globs to the book too, simply because I like looking at them and they are pretty good despite light pollution. Thinking of a smaller book format than US letter, so the book can live in a shoulder bag or coat pocket, which will help with the dew situation.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ags said:

@badhex I have been testing with a ZS66 so I expect the ZS73 will work really well.

@JeremyS I will start work on my next book shortly, probably a Messier/Caldwell spotting guide and log. That's the one I will use most myself. Although I am tempted to also add a bunch of planetaries and globs to the book too, simply because I like looking at them and they are pretty good despite light pollution. Thinking of a smaller book format than US letter, so the book can live in a shoulder bag or coat pocket, which will help with the dew situation.

That’s a great plan, Agnes. And also good to add a few of your favourite extras.

In the log part, do you plan to include a blank circle to allow the user to sketch as well as make notes? I think that would be useful. I’m thinking something along the lines of the BAA Deep Sky section report: https://britastro.org/sites/default/files/BAA Deep Sky Drawing Blank.pdf

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 08/08/2021 at 21:46, JeremyS said:

Just ordered 👍🏻

😀

23 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Me too! 👍🏻

😀

22 hours ago, badhex said:

This is fantastic work Ags, ordering a copy now! Thanks so much for your hard work. I will no doubt be using the book in combination with my ZS73 for the most part so I will report back! 

😀

Looking forward to hearing how you like the physical book! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Looking good @Ags - I have just downloaded the .PDF to my iPhone - tnx in adv. :thumbsup:

I like the feel of a paper map and a red light torch - but I hope the digital form works for you. Maybe I should produce a night vision pdf with black paper, red text and so on? Or do you just put red cellophane over the screen?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a pocket book with color, ring bound, and about 300+ DSOs would cost around EUR 30 ish, with a freely-available PDF. Done in a facing page format, with DSO chart and info on the left page and notes / sketching space on the right. Would people be interested in that?

Another book I want to do for myself is one on periodic variable stars.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ags said:

I think a pocket book with color, ring bound, and about 300+ DSOs would cost around EUR 30 ish, with a freely-available PDF. Done in a facing page format, with DSO chart and info on the left page and notes / sketching space on the right. Would people be interested in that?

Another book I want to do for myself is one on periodic variable stars.

Yes that sounds a good plan, Agnes. I like spiral/ring bound observing books (both guide books and books for recording observations) as I like to be a blessing to open them flat - and if I am drawing, to be able to fold them back on themselves.

What sort of timeframe are you thinking? Eg weeks, months?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure, as a guide Discovering Double Stars took about three months. This one would be bigger but would re-use a lot of the code. I will start a separate thread for that book and start sharing draft PDFs from the outset.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ags said:

Not sure, as a guide Discovering Double Stars took about three months. This one would be bigger but would re-use a lot of the code. I will start a separate thread for that book and start sharing draft PDFs from the outset.

Good idea about sharing drafts. If you started with, say, late summer/early autumn then some folks might like to test drive them in the field.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 08:50, Ags said:

I think a pocket book with color, ring bound, and about 300+ DSOs would cost around EUR 30 ish, with a freely-available PDF. Done in a facing page format, with DSO chart and info on the left page and notes / sketching space on the right. Would people be interested in that?

That is an excellent idea, but I've a suggestion (already!) for something about 10% of the population would find useful ....

I an not left handed myself, but know (from teaching children) that a lot of things are arranged in a way which makes lefties lives awkward, so if it's a relatively easy re-formatting job you could offer an alternative version with left page blank I think those folk would appreciate it 🙂

Heather

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's an idea but I think it might also be confusing. As the book can be folded in half , maybe left/right pages are less relevant? Also, you can think out the box and turn the book upside down 😆

By the way, I am left handed, but use my right hand most of the time. I remember my mother's horror when she found me drawing with the "wrong" hand - hopefully we live in more enlightened times now... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am knuckling down on the next book, tentatively titled Discovering the Deep Sky and covering Messier, Caldwell, bright Planetaries, and a few other objects. I'm going with exactly the same format as Discovering Double Stars, as that's the book I want for me. This time round I have some help with sorting out and normalizing the disparate data sources so that is in progress. Separately, I am working on the maps and looking at generating milky way backgrounds using Tycho data.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ags said:

I am knuckling down on the next book, tentatively titled Discovering the Deep Sky and covering Messier, Caldwell, bright Planetaries, and a few other objects. I'm going with exactly the same format as Discovering Double Stars, as that's the book I want for me. This time round I have some help with sorting out and normalizing the disparate data sources so that is in progress. Separately, I am working on the maps and looking at generating milky way backgrounds using Tycho data.

Delighted to hear this progress, Agnes 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

You mentioned releasing sections as you go along. Do let us know when the first tranche is available 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/08/2021 at 20:53, Ags said:

It's an idea but I think it might also be confusing. As the book can be folded in half , maybe left/right pages are less relevant? Also, you can think out the box and turn the book upside down 😆

By the way, I am left handed, but use my right hand most of the time. I remember my mother's horror when she found me drawing with the "wrong" hand - hopefully we live in more enlightened times now... 

After 30+ years of struggling with right-handed scissors, it only in the last 5 years occurred to me that we could have TWO pairs of kitchen scissors - lefty for me, righty for my partner. 

Occasionally, if my pair are momentarily out of sight or drying on the washing up rack and I attempt to use the rightys it basically triggers sudden onset PTSD 😂

Edited by badhex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.