Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 5th Aug poor seeing

neil phillips

Didnt get a chance to use the ADC yet i setup up late. Conditions were pretty bad. Example of this capture derotated underneath for download. My scope and camera seem to be performing well though. Even cutting through this muck. Images below. Saturn well. it was so bad i was shocked. Gave up trying to get a capture with cloud everywhere and poor seeing.  As soon as jupiter went behind the opposing roof just before full height. All the cloud went lol. 

Just love UK weather 

245mm Newtonian EQ5 mount QHY462C Camera QHY UV IR CUT. 5min derotated winjupos 

Images resampled different amounts 

AVI of seeing conditions

2021-08-05-0039_0-01_36_27_pipp-DeRot_pipp.zip

00:36 UT

sgl.tif 2.tif 90.tif colour.tif decon.png

redo 90.tif  85.png

Two derotated videos combined into images winjupos 

two derotated videos combined.png try.png 90 zzzzzz.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 8

• neil phillips changed the title to Jupiter 5th Aug poor seeing
5 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Well maybe not to your usual standards, but very good given the conditions, and a nice transit too.

Cheers. Good focus has helped. It was actually worse earlier when i started. As jupiter got higher. It progressed a little. But a definite jet stream. Though i have seen much worse The misshapen transit was colour splitting. Something the ADC Should sort out

Edited by neil phillips

Hi Neil a very good effort you can see the conditions were bad on the capture avi, very little or no transparency at all, you did well to pull out the detail you did to be honest!

We must show images in bad seeing as we do good its all a learning curve even thoe its not always what we want!

9 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Hi Neil a very good effort you can see the conditions were bad on the capture avi, very little or no transparency at all, you did well to pull out the detail you did to be honest!

We must show images in bad seeing as we do good its all a learning curve even thoe its not always what we want!

No Agreed Simon. Not shy about uploading less than ideal. Do you remember my early shots of Saturn and Jupiter on here when planets just came back to the UK. This looks amazing compared to those early efforts. But it was fun. i enjoyed starting in really bad conditions. As things improve we appreciate how far we have moved. It makes us better imagers in my opinion. 

With my daughters 114 Newtonian. 

Even with poor conditions Neil you have captured a reasonably good image of Jupiter. Your camera/scope combination are certaianly working very well. If I was using a newtonian I would definitely be considering the Antares mod.

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

Even with poor conditions Neil you have captured a reasonably good image of Jupiter. Your camera/scope combination are certaianly working very well. If I was using a newtonian I would definitely be considering the Antares mod.

Thanks Martin. That echo's my feelings about how the equipment appears to be performing. 

These are very nice Neil. Conditions have been awful for me too recently, we really need that high pressure back. Though saying that D.Peach has been getting sone great saying last few days... might have to move to the south coast.

Edited by CraigT82

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

These are very nice Neil. Conditions have been awful for me too recently, we really need that high pressure back. Though saying that D.Peach has been getting sone great saying last few days... might have to move to the south coast.

Cheers Craig. Damien has always been a inspiration to me. Just goes to show how variable seeing around the UK actually is.  Yes he had good seeing days ago. How that is the case is rather confusing. Because i thought the low pressure was UK wide. Which is when most often its unsettled ? 

Hi Neil,, good results considering the poor conditions. I noticed that the moon shadow doesn't have too many colour fringes, so your colour channels are quite well aligned. I think autostakkert does some of the heavy work if you have that box ticked.

A well tuned ADC will help resolution further however. 

Craig, check Damian's images for the location. At lower right most of the good recent ones say Chilescope. This is remote imaging in the Atacama desert in Chile with Jupiter high in the sky.

Peter

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, astroman001 said:

Craig, check Damian's images for the location. At lower right most of the good recent ones say Chilescope.

Haha ah yes this has caught me out! Up until 22nd July he Was posting images from home and I didn't notice he switched to the 1m RC for the most recent ones... hanks for the heads up. I did think they were really rather good! 

14 hours ago, astroman001 said:

Hi Neil,, good results considering the poor conditions. I noticed that the moon shadow doesn't have too many colour fringes, so your colour channels are quite well aligned. I think autostakkert does some of the heavy work if you have that box ticked.

A well tuned ADC will help resolution further however. 

Craig, check Damian's images for the location. At lower right most of the good recent ones say Chilescope. This is remote imaging in the Atacama desert in Chile with Jupiter high in the sky.

Peter

Cheers Peter

AS/3 Does a great Job of RGB Aligning. However there was still significant splitting on the shadow. I killed that fringing with colour noise reduction. But it has smeared the shape a touch. Somthing that the ADC would correct of course.

As per your comments Damien P. Makes sense Peter, was scratching my head there for a  while.