NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice with APP and issues with nebula in image

Hello,

Recently I took my first set of images pointed towards the North American Nebula. Here is the image after a quick edit on my phone(I know it’s very bad I just wanted to bring out the nebulousity) 4C0BB31B-1ABE-4AB0-80B8-AD8313F1C93E.thumb.jpeg.d8084f48044e4148fb4b2ad923163970.jpeg

Anyways, there are a few things I am wondering, why is they image orange? I barely changed the temperature, and even in the processed, but unedited image it was still showing signs of it being orange in the small amounts of nebulousity I could see. Would that just be the temperature I took it at, or would it have to do with something else?

Regarding APP,  There was faint, but no significant nebulousity. Should I be seeing a significant amount or does that come when you stretch the image. I did 108x20 second exposures if that comes in handy. The other things I want to touch on is about editing an image in APP.

Thanks for the help!

Evan

Hey buddy,

I am a complete newbie, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, and I am sure someone a lot more experienced will help you out properly soon, but I imaged this region earlier this week and I found I would also start to get very orange stars when playing with saturation (I will try find some my images showing it for reference). 

After stacking, You will for sure need to stretch the image before seeing much (if anything), and once you have the colour balance correct I am sure it will be easier to work with. I found you could just about see the nebula in a single exposure straight from the camera, but nothing when stacked (until stretched).

I also like to use SiriL, which has a very useful and easy to use auto stretch feature and colour calibration feature, makes it quick and easy to see what the data looks like with some basic editing. Might be worth a go.

Single 2 minute exposure:

IMG_0282.CR2

Stacked, but no stretch;

Autosave.tif

Orange appearing (see top right corner especially) after too much saturation (I think it was the saturation anyway), but this is after stretching and a little bit of editing of course.

156162934_NaandPelicancompleted.thumb.png.ed8dfd483eae79aec456d8a62c0af203.png

Hi.

Huh, I'm not sure I'm seeing any sort of nebulosity in above image.

What sort of gear did you use to take above image? My guess is really fast small aperture newtonian? Say 130p F/5 or even 100mm F/4.4?

You have significant coma, your stars are very out of focus and there is substantial vignetting.

Colors are just consequence of boosting saturation very much and not having calibrated data.