NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I got me an APO!

30 minutes ago, Ags said:

I was playing with that thread. I have an inkling of an idea to use that ZS66 SCT thread to connect 0.63 reducer for EEA.

I’ve done this very thing in the past - I’ll see if I can dig out some of the images I obtained. 👍

• Like 1

This is the only relevant thread I could find - note the M31 image was 5 second exposures:

The intention was to use it for Ha on larger nebs -  I can’t recall if I ever did but I think that would be it’s real strength, as I used a 60mm finder for Ha and found it surprisingly good.  

• Like 1

It was clear all day, then cloud rolled in with twilight. I did get a brief look at Vega through thin cloud, so I  tried to split Epsilon Lyrae ar 129x, but by the time I switched eyepieces it was solid cloud. But the brief wide views I had with a 10mm Speer WALER were exquisite, the seing was so serene.

Waiting for a gap.

A brief gap came and I had my chance to try split the Double Double with a 2x barlowed SLV 6, giving 129 magnification. I've split this star with 4 inch Maks, a C6 and an ST80, but by far the best split I have ever seen has been with the Zenithstar. The stars looked like stars and not diffraction patterns, if that makes any sense.

This is also the first scope I have been able to push down to a 0.5 mm exit pupil without feeling the image is breaking up. I imagine it could take a bit more. Maybe I  should get that SLV 2.5 mm.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

Nice little session there. Yes the stars are very crisp and clean through my 66mm too, very refractor like I guess. I did notice at high mags the stars become noticable discs due to the small aperture, but still perfect. It has good splitting abilities as I found out in a previous session

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 23:36, Ags said:

I don't really like larger eyepieces, so I stick to 1¼" eyepieces (and not even the larger ones of those). 

Don’t miss out on one of the best features of these little scopes; widefield views! A 24mm 68 degree 1.25” is not big and would be great under a dark sky.

• Like 4

I did have an ES 24/68 (370 g) and loved the views in an ST80 but I did find it too heavy. It just seemed a bit unpleasant ergonomically somehow. I am looking at picking up an ES 26/62 (235 g) to replace it.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ags said:

It was clear all day, then cloud rolled in with twilight. I did get a brief look at Vega through thin cloud, so I  tried to split Epsilon Lyrae ar 129x, but by the time I switched eyepieces it was solid cloud. But the brief wide views I had with a 10mm Speer WALER were exquisite, the seing was so serene.

Waiting for a gap.

A brief gap came and I had my chance to try split the Double Double with a 2x barlowed SLV 6, giving 129 magnification. I've split this star with 4 inch Maks, a C6 and an ST80, but by far the best split I have ever seen has been with the Zenithstar. The stars looked like stars and not diffraction patterns, if that makes any sense.

This is also the first scope I have been able to push down to a 0.5 mm exit pupil without feeling the image is breaking up. I imagine it could take a bit more. Maybe I  should get that SLV 2.5 mm.

I used to use a 2.5mm Nagler in my smaller scopes on occasion, for targets like Mars and tighter doubles. It should work fine; no more detail of course but the extra image scale can help.

Smaller scopes show larger airy disks, so the stars do look particularly beautiful in them I agree.

9 minutes ago, Ags said:

The Nagler I am seriously considering is the 3-6 zoom 😀

That would be a great choice, I’ve also used one of those in a variety of small scopes and it works really well. I’ve got a 2 -4mm as well but that gets less use. You could always barlow the nag if you wanted silly mags 👍👍

• Like 1

I bought a 3.2mm BST Starguider specifically for travel use with my ZS73 which works well as a budget option.

It would give a respectable 121x / 0.54mm exit pupil in your ZS66, so that could be an option whilst you save up for your Nagler 😊 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@badhex that's a good option, and I like budget options!

I know I am buying too much stuff, but I noticed a bargain on te-les-koop.nl for some Speer WALER eyepieces. I have picked up a 4.9 mm and 13.4 mm and the extension tube that would change the 4.9 mm to a 3.0 mm. Looks like a perfect solution as I love my classic orange-lettering Speer WALER 10. The two I have picked up are the later run with silver detailing, but I hope they are just as good.

I was tempted to get the 7.2 mm as well but couldn't justify it as I have an excellent ES 6.7 mm. But I will keep an eye open for a Speer WALER 17 mm to round out my set.

@Stu my antipathy to heavier eyepieces does not seemingly extend to the Speer WALER eyepieces, maybe because they are really easy to grip and seem hollow 😆

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ags said:

@Stu my antipathy to heavier eyepieces does not seemingly extend to the Speer WALER eyepieces, maybe because they are really easy to grip and seem hollow 😆

This is mine ZS SD 66mm with a 2” SCT fitting diagonal and a 22mm Nagler in it. Gave about 4.6 degrees I think. Quite back heavy though!

CB33AF64-E3CC-4621-BD09-50C60FB9C797.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More toys for my ZS 66 arrived - a TS 99% dielectric diagonal. after years of using SkyWatcher freebie diagonals I finally have a proper one. I wonder if it will make any difference?

Initial thoughts on fitting the diagonal and inserting an eyepiece - nosepiece catches in compression ring! Good thing I avoid changing eyepieces.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ags said:

More toys for my ZS 66 arrived - a TS 99% dielectric diagonal. after years of using SkyWatcher freebie diagonals I finally have a proper one. I wonder if it will make any difference?

Initial thoughts on fitting the diagonal and inserting an eyepiece - nosepiece catches in compression ring! Good thing I avoid changing eyepieces.

The undercuts are pretty annoying, but I found that certain EPs are better than others, and you develop a bit of knack for the tricky ones. It's nice to not have to mar the barrel of your eyepieces though, and I think you'll enjoy the overall better build quality!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ags said:

You could always wrap insulating tape around the undercut area to stop this.  I think it was @John has suggested this previously.

Ade

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 14:20, Stu said:

Don’t miss out on one of the best features of these little scopes; widefield views! A 24mm 68 degree 1.25” is not big and would be great under a dark sky.

I had the Astrotech AT66 with the ES Maxvision 24mm 68deg eyepiece. Amazing 4.1deg true field. And with the little Giro mount it was a take anywhere setup. Including sneaking it onto camping holidays when all astro was banned. 

Edited by russ
  • Like 2

Just had a brief solar session with my Herschel Wedge, using 60x to 120x. Seeing wasn't good enough to really judge, especially as there was only a very small sunspot on show. But I did find the focusser very good (compared to an ST80 anyway).

However 120x is pushing the limits of the AZT6 mount. Next thing to buy...

• Like 2

Lovely widefieldish views tonight of some colored doubles with my new to me 13.4 mm ultrawide eyepiece. Wonderful to see some bright wide doubles almost lost in a field of pinpoint stars. Still can't quite split both double double pairs. Had a look at saturn too at 80 magnification, lovely view. Spotted the moons Titan and Dione. Packed up too soon, I should have had a go at M31 (already? The year is flying by) and some of the doubles in Cassiopeia.

Edited by Ags

17 minutes ago, Ags said:

Lovely widefieldish views tonight of some colored doubles with my new to me 13.4 mm ultrawide eyepiece. Alovely to see some bright wide doubles almost lost in a field of pinpoint stars. Still can't quite split both double double pairs. Had a look at saturn too at 80 magnification, lovely view. Spotted the moons Titan and Dione. Packed up too soon, I should have had a go at M31 (already? The year is flying by) and some of the doubles in Cassiopeia.

I struggled to split the both doubles as well on my first few nights out with the ZS73. just about managed a distinct figure of 8 but not clear separation. In the same couple of nights I had a 'surprise' chance at both Saturn and Jupiter when they appeared in a gap between the trees, and was really surprised at how much planetary detail (and how many moons) I could pick out for such a small scope! 

• Like 1

Best views were definitely wide field (2½ degrees, 30x) and easy doubles. Rather than chasing tight splits (at least until I get an eyepiece around 3mm that works).

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1