Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I Have A Reflecting Telescope!

I have only ever owned refracting telescopes - not by design, it's just the way things have been. In fact, I've never even looked through a reflector...until now.

I picked up a Tal1, for free from ABS. The mirrors were a bit grubby, the mount is missing its feet, and it's a little bit tatty. However, the mirrors cleaned up nicely after a rinse under the tap and a wipe over with some Zeiss wipes. I'm not too bothered about the paint - let's just call it patina. The eyepieces are push fit (I think this is an early model, dates from 1995), but also cleaned up nicely.

I'm also happy to drill a couple of holes for a Vixen dovetail if I can't find feet for the mount, and if that happens, then I'll happily give the mount to someone else who can use it.

I had a quick look through the kitchen window, seems to be all fine. The focuser is a little coarse, but nothing that can't be fettled out later. I'll check the collimation if  a star test shows it needs it (new skill to learn).

I'm rather looking forward to first light😊

IMG_20210702_163528993.jpg

IMG_20210702_163508801.jpg

IMG_20210702_161920205.jpg

IMG_20210702_161820530.jpg

• Like 12

These are wonderful telescopes ,I have a TAL 2  f8  6" also known as a Siberia which I bought new for £600 in 1992. It has a spherical mirror and 3 eyepieces which are larger than standard 1.25. It has a mains driven equatorial mount and is also issued with a wide array of accessories that would these days be classed as optional extras . Unfortunately lack of space means that its been packed away and is in my sisters house for a few years now (she uses one of the pine storage boxes as a coffee table)!

I'm planning to use it soon when I get another shed to store it in, but like yours the mirrors will need recoated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy Challen said:

I have only ever owned refracting telescopes - not by design, it's just the way things have been. In fact, I've never even looked through a reflector...until now.

I picked up a Tal1, for free from ABS. The mirrors were a bit grubby, the mount is missing its feet, and it's a little bit tatty. However, the mirrors cleaned up nicely after a rinse under the tap and a wipe over with some Zeiss wipes. I'm not too bothered about the paint - let's just call it patina. The eyepieces are push fit (I think this is an early model, dates from 1995), but also cleaned up nicely.

I'm also happy to drill a couple of holes for a Vixen dovetail if I can't find feet for the mount, and if that happens, then I'll happily give the mount to someone else who can use it.

I had a quick look through the kitchen window, seems to be all fine. The focuser is a little coarse, but nothing that can't be fettled out later. I'll check the collimation if  a star test shows it needs it (new skill to learn).

I'm rather looking forward to first light😊

IMG_20210702_163528993.jpg

IMG_20210702_163508801.jpg

IMG_20210702_161920205.jpg

IMG_20210702_161820530.jpg

Hello Roy,

I look forward to your thoughts and observations with the Tal.  I have one that is identical , which I bought a few days before first lock down last year.  I had a home build 6" f8 in the mid seventies and it was, I think , a sense of nostalgia that compelled me to buy mine. To my shame I have not yet used it. I have a 12" Dob which I have also left in the cupboard, so to speak, preferring one of my fracs on most occasions whenever an observing opportunity arose.  If their refractors are anything to judge by, I bet it is an excellent performer.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Les Ewan said:

but like yours the mirrors will need recoated.

I just cleaned the mirrors, they look fine to me, just a few tiny marks that wouldn't wash away. The last image is before cleaning.

7 minutes ago, Saganite said:

To my shame I have not yet used it.

Well, these things take time, especially for a frac fan such as myself! Not only is this my first Newt, it's also my fastest scope and also largest aperture 😂 - I'm going galaxy hunting!

Actually, the closest scope I have to compare is my 100RS, (not close at all really) I expect the only significant difference will be the lack of CA in the the newt and maybe it'll be a bit brighter. 

It is noticeably shorter than my fracs though, so easier to handle and mount, and the tripod for my Vixen Polaris is for a newt, so it should sit quite nicely on that, whilst remaining reasonably portable.

• Like 1

I hope you  get the feet for the pier because it would be nice to keep this setup as original as possible. 

Although my TAL is stored elsewhere  its manual is kept in my bookcase at home for some reason. The Russian translation is every bit as bad as the  Japanese manuals for Prinz and Tasco telescopes in the 70's.😁SMs060721.thumb.JPG.c2890476218f240f833ea0f0a11bc162.JPG

SM1060721.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Les Ewan said:

I hope you  get the feet for the pier because it would be nice to keep this setup as original as possible. 

Yeah, I would prefer to keep it original, but I'm not too fussed really, my 100 RS isn't in original condition either. As long as they both work fine.

Oooh! Look what I've got:

image.thumb.jpeg.831621c7f89c2e0a59571b99b331e689.jpeg

From a Tal-1 in poor condition for disposal that nobody wanted ( advertised on ABS---no response). Yours FOC. Just need to collect from Somerset just off the M5. There are some other bits if you want them. The mirrors I am using in another project.

PM me if interested.

Nigel

Edited by Astrobits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Nice job, I couldn’t help wondering why your scope looked a bit strange until I realised the focuser and finder are on the opposite side of the OTA to most scopes.

True, I hadn't noticed that. I don't often bother using the finder, so using my left eye will feel weird until I get used to it!

Edited by Roy Challen