NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Buying My First Telescope 🔭

Hi everyone,

I am newbie that wants to get started in astronomy. I need help selecting my first telescope. I don’t want something too basic that I will never touch again once I have gained enough experience. I am interested in observing deep space objects. 

I was looking into buying Sky-Watcher explorer 150p EQ3-2 F/1200 or Sky-watcher Explorer 130p Reflector Telescope. Are these any good? If you have any better suggestions please let me know.

Kind regards,

CoffeeEmerald 

Hi CoffeeEmerald.

Both the telescopes you have named are fine optical instruments. You will not be disappointed with them if you want to do visual astronomy.

If you want to do astrophotography, they will not be a very good choice.

Thank you for your response.

I want to start off with visual astronomy and perhaps later on I might go into astrophotography. Out of the two telescopes I have mentioned which one do you think will be better for my use? Currently I am more inclined to buy Sky-Watcher explorer 150p EQ3-2 F/1200.

Welcome,

you can see plenty of DSOs using a 150mm reflector, if you go for the 130mm you will be forever wondering if the bigger mirror would be showing you more ... I've seen plenty over the past year with my first serious 'scope, a 150 Heritage dob,  from my suburban light polluted back garden.

However, my best advice would be, if possible, don't max out your spending on the telescope/mount package , keep a bit back for the upgraded accessories you will very quickly discover you need , like an eyepiece or two (the skywatcher bundled 10mm one is not good, altho' the 25mm is OK ) and a better finder than the one supplied ...

Heather

• Like 1

If you want purely visual experience and you are interested in DSO more than planets - then consider this scope instead:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

That is the same scope - but mounted differently.

It uses very simple dobsonian type mount and provides very comfortable viewing when seated down (get height adjustable chair for best comfort).

On the other hand, if you want to try some astrophotography later on, this scope will serve you better:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

First, you'll get EQ mount that is needed for astrophotography. This is very basic mount - but can be used with simple single axis drive motor to track the sky and will be suitable for camera + lens astrophotography. If you are in DIY - you'll be able to convert it to full goto (there is also upgrade kit that is probably a bit over priced if you consider quality of the mount - diy is a lot cheaper).

150P F/5 is very good imaging telescope. If you go that way - you'll need to get better mount and you'll be able to use it along with suitable coma corrector to get your feet wet in AP with telescopes.

For purely visual I don't recommend using newtonian on EQ type mount as EQ type mount tracks the sky and that makes telescope, or rather eyepiece and finder end up in awkward positions. You'll need to constantly rotate tube in rings to adjust eyepiece position. This is much easier to do with smaller and lighter scope like F/5 one - F/8 is very long and bulky in comparison.

F/8 will be much better on planets though.

• Like 1

I hesitated to mention the dob alternative, as you said you might want to think about photo use in the future , but if you are happy to shelve any thoughts of entering that particular money pit, a dob will get you a simple mount, with most of your money going into the optics . 

13 hours ago, CoffeeEmerald said:

Thank you for all of your detailed responses they have been very helpful!

I will be looking into the Dobsonian mount this weekend.

6" and 8" dobs are the most popular choices for beginners. Unfortunately they are out of stock almost everywhere. You best chance would be in the used market.

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2021 at 15:51, etsatlo said:

As someone who found an EQ mount an annoying barrier to observing I highly recommend anything else!

I know they are technically useful, they can just be a pain, and astronomy is meant to be fun

You make a really important point. It doesn't matter how good your gear is technically if you don't like using it.

A telescope that you can set up in a few minutes and get observing straight away is always going to get more use than one that makes you do a lot of work before you can use it. Size and weight are also major issues because if it's a struggle to carry everything outside then you'll find reasons not to bother. The ideal grab and go telescope is one that you can keep set up indoors and take the whole thing outside in one or two pieces.

There's a reason why dobsonians and small refractors are so popular in spite of their limitations.

Hi @CoffeeEmerald, well did you make your choice?!

+1 for a dob: great for BOTH planets and DSOs.

But, they are sizeable, so considering lugging it around or transport to a dark site is important. 

I was going to go for an 8" dob as my first scope, but went for a deal on a 10" ... and I was glad!

Here's a pic, to give a feel for sizes (solid tube designs): post for user comments on any models you may be considering & best of luck with your decision if you haven't already pulled the trigger 😉

Classic_Dob_size_comp.jpg.d411bbff3fcef750eaef494c5b5d1777.jpg

How about something like the Bresser 150 / 750 dob? Excellent quality scope on a dob base but it uses tube rings and a standard dovetail to attach it to the base which means it could be fitted straight onto an EQ mount later on. 

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bresser-dobson-telescope-n-150-750-messier-dob/p,58693

Edited by johninderby

Respectfully, I have the same, what I term, "one arm bandit", and as the Bresser "Messier" 150/750 Newtonian-Dobson...

1900196338_6f5v.jpg.965822e7f573035846af65beb8120a5c.jpg

...but under another marque and colour-scheme.  As you can see, I transferred the OTA over to a tripod-type alt-azimuth, and it has been far more enjoyable.  I then chucked its dreadful, one-arm Dobson base up into the attic, and where it will rot.  It shall never be missed.

If a Newtonian-Dobson, choose one(at 150mm and up) where both sides of the telescope are supported; for example...

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-dobson-telescope-n-150-1200-skyliner-classic-dob/p,15559

5 hours ago, niallk said:

Hi @CoffeeEmerald, well did you make your choice?!

+1 for a dob: great for BOTH planets and DSOs.

But, they are sizeable, so considering lugging it around or transport to a dark site is important. 

I was going to go for an 8" dob as my first scope, but went for a deal on a 10" ... and I was glad!

Here's a pic, to give a feel for sizes (solid tube designs): post for user comments on any models you may be considering & best of luck with your decision if you haven't already pulled the trigger 😉

Classic_Dob_size_comp.jpg.d411bbff3fcef750eaef494c5b5d1777.jpg

If you're taking a dob to a dark site, how good are they at retaining collimation after being subjected to the bumps and vibration of the car journey?

1 hour ago, Andrew_B said:

If you're taking a dob to a dark site, how good are they at retaining collimation after being subjected to the bumps and vibration of the car 

Imho, collimation is a *must* learn skill with a dob.  You have to collimate even for your first use... it is not optional.  Yes it is daunting at first, but with the likes of AstroBaby's guide, and a little practice, you get the hang of it.

Every time I use my 15" truss dob I collimate - because I disassemble, transport and reassemble.  Takes about 2 minutes with a barlowed laser ...in the dark!

I think the mindset needs to be like tuning a guitar - just something you routinely do to get the best out of your instrument. 

Edited by niallk
  • Like 1

With my 8" solid tube dob, I have to re-collimate my primary about 50% of the time after a trip in the car. Never had to redo the secondary, though. That's with the tube across the  back seat and normal roads.

I check the primary every time I use my dob, home or away - takes about 20 seconds, including getting the Cheshire out of the box. If a quick adjustment is needed, and that's all I've ever had to do, it's a couple of minutes at most.