Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Couriers for sending telescopes

AstroNebulee

Hi

I am trying to sell my skymax 127 ota locally first but not having much luck. I'm wondering how other members have fared using couriers to pick up items you are sending. I've looked at royal mail and my box is to long by 3cms I really dislike/dont want to use hermes as they've lost parcels in the past, dhl are very hit and miss in my experience I'd love to use dpd but scopes are on their prohibited/don't send list, I would not be able to take the scope to a drop off point as I don't drive, so courier pick up is only option. Just like to gauge others opinions on who they've used. 

1 minute ago, paul mc c said:

I have used Hermes to buy and sell scopes and have had no problems,around £20 insured for £300,and fully tracked.

I know a few people using hermes to send scopes and had no issues but their track record for me has been very poor and customer service, I know RVO use dpd for all parfels and scopes but seems silly that the consumer can't use dpd to send scopes, maybe its because they are a business not sure. 

6 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

I have used Hermes to buy and sell scopes and have had no problems,around £20 insured for £300,and fully tracked.

Are you sure you've really been insured? Most couriers have exclusions which would see to cover telescopes. In Hermes case you are not insured for:

• cameras and lenses
  • Glass items or fragile items that contain glass parts(including kitchen appliances)

And just in case you were in any doubt....

• Spectacles and optical equipment(e.g.telescopes or binoculars)

The guide to what they won't carry and won't insure is here:   Hermes non-compensation items

I have failed to find any mainstream courier that would insure a telescope and if you search on here it's a question that comes up quite often without a satisfactory answer. I think the Royal Mail may insure if you ship in original packaging, but you have to confirm with them first it is acceptable.

• Like 1

I've only posted a scope twice but each time I let the buyer know that there will be no insurance for breakages, and tell them if they want me to post it they can take the responsibility. I will pack it up as well as I can, In it's original packaging if poss, and if it arrives broken then that's that. If the buyer won't accept that then no sale. Used parcel force 48 each time, no probs. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Are you sure you've really been insured? Most couriers have exclusions which would see to cover telescopes. In Hermes case you are not insured for:

I would like to think i was as i put telescope on the form,and paid the extra £15 or so to have the £300 cover

19 minutes ago, callisto said:

As I've no printer at the moment I have used Parcelforce a few times...They do the label for you when they pick it up...Had no problems and got loads of updates for delivery :)

Thank you I will look at parcel force to see if scopes are included as I'd want to insure it if I send it via them or any courier but as simrod says not many if any do, sorry that this question has been asked before I couldnt find it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

I've only posted a scope twice but each time I let the buyer know that there will be no insurance for breakages, and tell them if they want me to post it they can take the responsibility. I will pack it up as well as I can, In it's original packaging if poss, and if it arrives broken then that's that. If the buyer won't accept that then no sale. Used parcel force 48 each time, no probs. 

Thank you Craig, its looking like parcel force at the moment, it will be in original packaging, so I may post it on here to sell should the local attempts fail. 

IMG_20210619_143302.jpg

• Like 1

Parcelforce are the best. I've sent stuff all over the world with zero problems. I used to use Hermes and others and had no problems and they are cheaper. BUT since covid lockdown there seems to have been an avalanche of online shopping and the smaller firms just can't handle it. They used to send their own vans and lorries round but now anyone and everyone are becoming delivery drivers and the quality of service has consequently suffered. Not turning up, lost parcels, wrong addresses. In the end I gave up on the budget firms and now just use Royal Mail and Parcelforce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_1995.thumb.JPG.54ed6afa7b29daa07835eddc4c5052f5.JPG

Hermes delivery !!  In fairness to Hermes, the person sending me this 8"F5 Newtonian  could have packaged it better  in every possible way.

... and did't insure it either.   I had it delivered to work and somebody else signed for it, which is not a good idea and limits options later.

• Sad 1