Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Charity shop find

Swoop1

Dropped some bits off at Helen and Douglas House shop this afternoon and spied a pre digital days Hanimar 135mm f3.5 telephoto lens- the nice integral sliding lens hood type. 

On closer examination is aw that it was a screw mount so popped home to get the ZWO ASI290MC. I took out the lens cell from the ZWO and it screwed nicely into the mount cap so, I offered up the lens to the ZWO and it fits.

I decided to take a punt and will mount it direct to the ZWO which will sit on the HEQ5PRO via an L bracket adapter and may be a nice wide field rig.

If it doesn't work out, it was a waste of the princely sum of £4.

Edited by Swoop1
Fat thumbs
  • Like 5

Camera lenses typically have a Mounting Flange to Sensor distance of about 44mm.

The ZWO ASI290MC is 12.5mm.

Sounds like the lens has a M42 x 0.75 thread on it that fitted nicely.

Or was it a M42 x 1 thread that seemed a bit tight ?

Either way, you can get infinity focus at a shorter distance reading on the lens, if it's mounted too close to the sensor.

Or if it's further away from the sensor............I can never remember which !

Good luck !

Michael

• Like 1

It felt like a nice smooth fit so probably M42 X 0.75? I did wonder what the thread was called. Now I know.

As I said, even if it doesn't work at all, it was only a £4 investment which I can return to the shop as a donation.

On 10/06/2021 at 17:28, Astro Noodles said:

My Mrs works for a charity on the retail side. I've got her keeping an eye out for anything telescope/camera related. So far only junk though, but you never know.😉

This is why it's now nigh on impossible to pick up vinyl records at charity shops as it gets picked over before it hits the shop front..... 

Was at a local museum/planetarium a year ago and saw a celestron 9.25 sitting beside a clearance table that said 50% off everything!

They laughed and said "sorry, that's just a display!:

All my arguing about it being AT THE CLEARANCE TABLE was to no avail!😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1