Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My very first picture!

This is going to seem ridiculous to some but that’s ok. I got my very first telescope just last week and the weather has been absolutely horrible so I’ve only been able to use it twice so far, for about 20 minutes each time.

I have a simple Celestron TS 70 on an AZ-GTi mount with some better EP’s and a good 90 degree diagonal and a neutral density filter. Keep in mind, I know next to nothing so far about AP so this is INCREDIBLY crude. Taken with an iPhone with an 8mm EP (IIRC) with horrific cloud cover and about 5 seconds to capture it before it was unseen again.

Forget the quality, the point is it gave me confidence to keep going with this hobby for the long term. Thanks for reading.

5265AAA5-BF80-4166-8CAD-BEC907AFB7BA.jpeg

Edited by Maideneer
  • Like 19

Hi Maideneer

This reminds me of my very first image (also a lunar shot) taken freehand with my phone hovering over the eyepiece.

Similar to what you have mentioned, the quality wasn't the best but to me it was the best photo I had ever captured!

Definitely stick with it - it is a superb hobby and you will keep getting those moments on everything you capture.

Great job!

Regards,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Maideneer said:

This is going to seem ridiculous to some but that’s ok. I got my very first telescope just last week and the weather has been absolutely horrible so I’ve only been able to use it twice so far, for about 20 minutes each time.

I have a simple Celestron TS 70 on an AZ-GTi mount with some better EP’s and a good 90 degree diagonal and a neutral density filter. Keep in mind, I know next to nothing so far about AP so this is INCREDIBLY crude. Taken with an iPhone with an 8mm EP (IIRC) with horrific cloud cover and about 5 seconds to capture it before it was unseen again.

Forget the quality, the point is it gave me confidence to keep going with this hobby for the long term. Thanks for reading.

5265AAA5-BF80-4166-8CAD-BEC907AFB7BA.jpeg

Congrats on your first image. Took the glare away a bit seems to show a little more

5265AAA5-BF80-4166-8CAD-BEC907AFB7BA.jpeg.e5aa9cfe137b24b6ae1bf16b7e1de55b.png

• Like 2

Congratulations! Now, seek therapy quickly before the addiction takes hold! In no time you'll be out in cold weather taking images of the planets and things you cant see with your own eyes!

You've just joined a crazy group of people!😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Definitely a slippery slope. I was in the same position a few months back and now I have three scopes, sixteen eyepieces plus the photo gear including cooled OSC, EAF, filter wheel etc etc. This is nowhere near as bad as some on here but even so I've had to train the dogs to distract my wife when there's another delivery......

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Congratulations! Now, seek therapy quickly before the addiction takes hold! In no time you'll be out in cold weather taking images of the planets and things you cant see with your own eyes!

You've just joined a crazy group of people!😁

You’re not wrong 😆! I took a similar photo of the moon last autumn (well done by the way @Maideneer). Then bought a ring to connect my camera to a spotting scope and took some photos of Jupiter and her moons.  Then I bought a second hand (astronomy) scope, and mount; but found that my camera isn’t great for low light photography (very, very poor signal to noise ratio). So more recently I’ve splashed out on a guide camera and bought a second hand DSLR and sent it off for astro-modification. Now I’m waiting for some clear nights!!

Stu

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Congrats on your first image. Took the glare away a bit seems to show a little more

5265AAA5-BF80-4166-8CAD-BEC907AFB7BA.jpeg.e5aa9cfe137b24b6ae1bf16b7e1de55b.png

Bless you for fixing that, it didn’t even occur to me to manipulate it. I have Photoshop on my phone so next time I’ll head there first. Cheers!

I'm not into imaging, but when I do take the occasional shot, that's how I do it too. With a little practice and a steady hand, you'll be surprised at what you can achieve.

Edited by Roy Challen

• 2 weeks later...