Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing from the roof of a concrete building?

jjohnson3803

3 minutes ago, saac said:

Oohhhhh, I used to work in places like that - small cottage footprint on the outside - once you get inside it's an elevator ride down 12 flights !!!   The carpark at the surface to accommodate 300 cars was always the giveaway.  Buy it,  buy it now, and never think twice about the zombie apocalypse again :) 

Jim 

I’m guessing it’s an old nuclear bunker perhaps? Could be fun, and looks like it’s somewhere pretty dark! Might need a generator if spending any time there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’m guessing it’s an old nuclear bunker perhaps? Could be fun, and looks like it’s somewhere pretty dark! Might need a generator if spending any time there.

I think so, the concrete porch is typical of blast protection.  May even be a comms station or even explosive storage.  Should be easy enough to check land registry equivalent to find out what it was.  I would check that there is no tax burden or other maintenance charges associated with it and if not , and if the Op has the spare cash, then why not. Could be put to a number of uses .  Interesting project .

Alternatively , buy a 2nd hand camper van and you are good to go without the burden of ownership and ongoing maintenance of a strange building :) 

Jim 

A folding ladder will get you up there. Hang a white tarpaulin over the southern aspect and roof[?] for increased coolth.
Beware that concrete roofs with black tar felt get red hot inside! I had one once. So I covered it with shiny [scrap] aluminium sheeting.
Lightweight, white tarps are easy to handle and can be rolled up tightly when not in use.
A brick on each corner to stop it blowing away? There's always white masonry paint if solar heating is a serious problem.
The flat roof should be invisible to stray, two-legged vermin.
Though the box of electrics and the nearby porch offer a rock climber some purchase. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my questions have become academic - it's now showing as under contract. 🙁   But it's helped me get a better idea of what I'd like in a remote site.  And there's still rural Indiana, Iowa, and Wisconsin within a 3-hour drive. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Unfortunately my questions have become academic - it's now showing as under contract. 🙁   But it's helped me get a better idea of what I'd like in a remote site.  And there's still rural Indiana, Iowa, and Wisconsin within a 3-hour drive. 

That's a shame. I was looking forward to reading/seeing what you were going to do with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I would keep track of it, contracts do go wrong and properties return for sale.      🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dan_adi said:

I have a small obsy ontop of my house. I had no issues with heat. The big advantage is 360 degrees clear view. 

I once worked for a state university that had a teaching obsy on top of a four story building.  I never investigated the construction, but it obviously worked ok for them.  Big difference between a large office building and a small, concrete bunker though. 

Edited by jjohnson3803