Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is This A Good Deal?

37 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Used Meade ETX Maksutov-Cassegrain D=90mm; F=1250mm With 4 Extra Lenses, Tripod & Portable Carrying Case.

I have an opportunity to purchase all this for $650.00. 

How would you rate this deal?

Where are you based...

10 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

Used Meade ETX Maksutov-Cassegrain D=90mm; F=1250mm With 4 Extra Lenses, Tripod & Portable Carrying Case.

I have an opportunity to purchase all this for $650.00. 

How would you rate this deal?

A quick check on ebay.com (assuming you are quoting US dollars) shows the highest price Meade ETX 90 has sold for $355, so it looks very overpriced.   Ebay sold prices Meade ETX 90

This one sold for $351 for the full kit plus the Meade 9 piece plossl eyepiece set. ETX90 Sold $351

As Peter Drew has said, the eyepieces provided would have to be high quality to justify the price.

I would back away slowly and steer clear of that one.  You must remember that it is well-known that the supplies of telescopic equipment are still hard to come by.  There are quite a few out there who know this, and are looking to cash in.  Don't fall for offers of that nature; identify, and avoid.  Research, as you do seem to be doing now.

In addition, Maksutovs and other long-focus designs of telescopes do not require corrective, and therefore expensive eyepieces for a good showing.  Most any "cheap" eyepiece can perform surprisingly well with a Maksutov.

• Like 3