NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade eyepieces

Hello and welcome to the forum.

They are reported to be good eyepieces but their apparent field of view falls a little short of 100 degrees I believe. They seem to be measured at around 88 degrees.

Is this the one you have ?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/486454-15mm-meade-mwa-is-in/?p=6368899

Edited by John

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

If you are referring to the Meade MWA 15mm, they're actually not all that new.  In fact, they've been discontinued by Meade and are sold out at most retailers.

Here's a review of them under the Omegon Panorama II brand name.

I think those fall short of the full claimed AFoV as well:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/595495-omegon-panorama-ii/

Edited by John

Due to edge distortion compressing the outer part, they provide the same TFOV at a given focal length as competitors' 100 degree AFOV eyepieces which stretch the outer part to get to 100 degrees.  Effective AFOV (eAFOV) is about 90 degrees for both variations on 100 degrees.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

... Effective AFOV (eAFOV) is about 90 degrees for both variations on 100 degrees.

It's a pity that they have 100 degrees AFOV printed on them in big white letters.

Keeps the marketing people happy I guess.

23 hours ago, Louis D said:

Due to edge distortion compressing the outer part, they provide the same TFOV at a given focal length as competitors' 100 degree AFOV eyepieces which stretch the outer part to get to 100 degrees.  Effective AFOV (eAFOV) is about 90 degrees for both variations on 100 degrees.

That would be profound angular magnification distortion if the percentage were that large.  I haven't read anyone whose review mentioned a high degree of AMD in this eyepiece.

The people measuring the eyepieces used tests that revealed the narrower apparent fields than claimed.

A simple daylight test would reveal if the eyepieces have pincushion distortion (which I suspect) or barrel distortion.  If the latter, a simple billboard test would reveal the AMD.

• Like 1