Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this my first sun dog?

Sun about 30 minutes from setting and I noticed a short non curved rainbow at the same elevation as the sun.

There was a high diffuse cirrus and a few small cumulus. I have never seen this before and having recently got into the subject of weather I looked it up in a couple of books.

The description for sun dog looks right but I would appreciate someone’s opinion who has past observations.

Marvin

5E08C829-98F8-4B8A-8F9A-78D5D9CAD790.jpeg

3D5D15DA-B3F0-4682-8326-379091471C08.jpeg

• Like 1

I would say that it is borderline between a "sundog" and a small part of a parhelial  arc.   It's in the right position for a sundog but they do tend to be a little more defined.  Nice photo and observation anyway.     🙂

Thank you to the two of you for replies. I apologies for quality of the pictures, in this day an age I have an iPhone6 to hand instead of an Olympus SLR, note not D. I must get get back to living with a camera at all times.

It was very noticeable as I was wearing polarising shades, and just happened look across the garden and thought ‘that is new, I must look that up’.

Astronomy has taught me to observe. I find that observational discipline has morphed into my everyday. I am happy to say my eyesight is extraordinary but I am mostly hearing impaired.

I can honestly say that I can spot Orchids by the roadside from my van as I pass by. 

Marv

• Like 1