Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY don't just do amateur cameras

DaveS

14 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Nice but chips are a bit small and would want USB-C/Thunderbolt connectors rather than USB-3 for that money 🙂

Alan

A bit small? 50 x 40 mm or even 60 x 60 mm? How big do you want?

Actually gigabit ethernet would be a better option than USB3 Thunderbolt is just too flakey for scientific cameras.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I was worried then I noticed that it was Euros and not GBP so actually under £54,000 so means I can afford the bigger NB filters as well - I Wish 🙂 

Or you could build a triple rig...

James

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveS said:

A bit small? 50 x 40 mm or even 60 x 60 mm? How big do you want?

Actually gigabit ethernet would be a better option than USB3 Thunderbolt is just too flakey for scientific cameras.

I was thinking a pro camera would want a pro scope which probably has a much larger imaging circle than 60mm, even my old bino objective can project an image a foot across although its in no way corrected.

Alan

A Tak FSQ106 will cover 88 mm so good for a 6060 sensor, well at least theoretically. Not many telescopes are well corrected beyond, I think, 60 mm and even that's pushing it.

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

I was thinking a pro camera would want a pro scope which probably has a much larger imaging circle than 60mm, even my old bino objective can project an image a foot across although its in no way corrected.

Alan

Well that's effectively eyepiece projection, not prime focus imaging.

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Dont you mean 2,4 inches, which to me is tiny..

Alan

Can you point me to a commercially available camera with a sensor larger than 60mm square? If you want bigger then you'll either have to have 6 or 7 figure sums for a custom built observatory class camera, or else revert to silver halide and large format film.

And find a telescope with a big enough prime focus imaging circle.

Edited by DaveS

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Well that's effectively eyepiece projection, not prime focus imaging.

No it was just the objective lens, remember those vintage plate cameras with a very large sensitized glass plate at the rear...

Alan

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

No it was just the objective lens, remember those vintage plate cameras with a very large sensitized glass plate at the rear...

Alan

Well OK, but what was it's poly Strehl?

I have an 10x8 monorail camera, and a couple of lenses that will cover the image circle, but doubt they are anything like diffraction limited (0.84 Strehl) at any aperture, let alone wide open.

Edited by DaveS