NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old Atik EFW2 on Windows 10?

Gasman

Guys

Dug out my old Atik EFW2 filter wheel for a project I`m trying but struggling to get it to work under Windows 10 anyone have luck with this wheel with Win 10 please?.

Managed to source an old copy of Artemis but it still kicks out errors plugging it in and telling me to try plugging in again? . It all seems in order and the wheel does its rotating routine when first powered up and stops at position 1 .

Running out of ideas what to try as I`ve tried loading Artemis as Admin and also win 7 compatibility but no joy. It seems on a few forums that this wheel did have connection problems with Win 10.

cheers

Steve

Yes tried that thanks,  it worked perfectly last time I used it (Win 7 I think) a few years ago but stopped using when I went into spectroscopy, shame nicely engineered piece of kit!

Steve

Not sure if this helps but my Win 10 laptop disabled USB outputs if they weren’t in continuous use.  There are options in the power management menu to stop that pointless and typically Microsoft aggravation.  I had no end of trouble with my ATIK kit in Win10 until I did that.

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

My EFW2 works fine on W10 through Artemis. Have you tried just the filter wheel runner?

Mmmm ta for that clearly it does work in Win 10!. I was just trying the filter wheel in Artemis without a ccd attached, maybe it needs the ccd attached first??. I was using my Atik 314 power lead for the filterwheel so I’ll knock up another power lead so I can try both at the same time. Can’t see McAfee anti virus doing anything but you never know will disable that too. I’m using my desktop for these so the front usb’s are in use all the time!. One guy with the same problem was advised on the Cloudy Nights forum to right click on Artemis in services in Task Master but I tried that and Artemis is not even listed in services?.

Steve

Edited by Gasman

If you use filter wheel runner it is stand alone so you don’t need to worry about cams and if you need the cam and the wheel operating together. That will then tell you if there is an issue with the wheel or just a software setup issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

Mmmm lost it again now buggar! I'll email Atik and see if they have any up to date Win 10 drivers for this filterwheel. Ruddy Windows 😕

Steve - have you downloaded the very latest Core Software?? It contains the most up to date 64bit drivers.

https://www.atik-cameras.com/software-downloads/ 

I'll try a full uninstall/reinstall later, I read on another forum it worked for a few . I cant even get to the Ascom part as it won't recognise the FW when plugged in. Strange that it worked when the old drivers were loaded which implies the FW is working ok but next time switched pc on didn't like it ?? Thanks

Steve

Edited by Gasman

Just had a similar issue, turned out (so far) that it was my cables, my fault for leaving them out on the path, it looked like a windows issue or software issue but wasn't, more annoying they were relatively new and expensive cables but i left them out on the path with 3 kids and 2 dogs running over them

• Haha 1

Last October my Atik320e wouldn't connect to my W10 pro laptop. I'd upgraded from W7 pro over the summer. After reinstalling the core software it worked fine. 

i haven't tried my 428 and efw2 combo yet. I can have a go later today.

My SX equipment didn't mind the update.

• Like 1

Hi peeps

Just a quick update and well pointed out by Astrosharkey  hate to admit it but it was the damn usb lead 😱. changed the lead and it connected fine. A bit jerky but a strip and clean with some isopropanol alcohol and it's as good new 🤞. Note to self - always start with the basics  lesson learned.

Excellent comms from Vince at Atik too.

Cheers guys

Steve

Edited by Gasman