Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew shields

Hi Joe,

dew shield... very important anytime of year though I do not use mine so much during the summer months, but does help keep pollen off the corrector plate. Also good for keeping stray light at bay.

FF/FR... I have the Celestron one. I have never tried the other branded ones. The Antares is good value.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

I've always used a long Dew Shield on my 8" SCT, and have never needed a dew band, but it's in a dome.

Most agree the Meade, Celestron, Antares, HIrsch etc FR's look identical, and probably come out of the same Chinese factory.

But some of them may have coatings that will improve performance.

Michael

On 01/04/2021 at 17:46, wookie1965 said:

You can make one out of a exercise mat. 

I did this in the past. Though if you think about it this type of material must store heat. Unless stored outside. I put mine in the freezer for twenty mins

Nest time i am going plastic for hi res work

Edited by neil phillips

34 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I did this in the past. Though if you think about it this type of material must store heat. Unless stored outside. I put mine in the freezer for twenty mins

Nest time i am going plastic for hi res work

I used one then stuck plastic to it to make it more rigid worked a treat. 

Hi re dew shield ,last year I purchased a black gym mat from Ikea for £2.50 and made two for my6se and two for my etx90 and two for my 50 mm finder.

One tube of glue Ihave had great service from these and they are still going strongIMG_0505.thumb.JPG.1a0eab41d5919d509926fa1c7a82fc4f.JPG

• Like 1

For value for money DIY dewshields, I reckon you can't do better than getting a sheet of Proplex* - and using sticky velcro pads to hold the edges together. 

£4.50 for a 1.2m x 2.4m sheet that will do a one-piece shield for anything up to about 35cm aperture. 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Proplex-Black-Surface-Protection-Sheet-2400-x-1200-x-2mm/p/118670

*it's the twin wall sheeting put down to protect floors from scratches when builders are working indoors

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1