NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Resale value % question

42 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I find the ethical debate about what price to sell interesting, as it only ever seems to be applied to the seller. If there had been a massive price drop, no one would be suggesting a buyer should pay 70% of the old, higher price.

I don't think anyone has replied yet with a definitive answer to say exactly what the OP should ask but have said what they would do in the same circumstances and really that's all anyone can do as it is up to the seller.

And the ones that have replied that suggest around 2/3rds, with the exception of @Steve Clay, have suggested that it is 2/3rds of the cost of new. 
Many members will sell a bit cheaper if they bought 2nd hand to begin with ,or it is not s new, but again it is up to the seller and that is what Steve said he would do and probably what many SGL members would also do.
But as most have indicated that is just a "rule of thumb" and what has been the trend for as long as I have been on SGL and probably much longer.
It is only a rough guide and some items will command much more, some less and some will be difficult to sell.

Without seeing what a similar item went for recently it is difficult to help the OP to an exact price and also why they had to ask the question .

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I don't think anyone has replied yet with a definitive answer to say exactly what the OP should ask but have said what they would do in the same circumstances and really that's all anyone can do as it is up to the seller.

And the ones that have replied that suggest around 2/3rds, with the exception of @Steve Clay, have suggested that it is 2/3rds of the cost of new.
But as most have indicated that is just a "rule of thumb" and what has been the trend for as long as I have been on SGL and probably much longer.
Many members will sell a bit cheaper if they bought 2nd hand to begin with ,or it is not s new, but again it is up to the seller.
It is only a rough guide and some items will command much more, some less and some will be difficult to sell.

Without seeing what a similar item went for recently it is difficult to help the OP to an exact price and also why they had to ask the question .

Steve

Ebay can help with past pricing, although there has only been one sold with an EQ3 mount since the start of the year and that was £400 in January  ebay sold prices That was from a dealer (and went via auction), so I would expect a lower price for an individual sale. The dealer did have it on at a 'buy it now' price of £325 so it seems like the market is willing to pay a premium at the moment. As we head towards spring and summer and the nights get shorter that may soften prices a bit at the 'casual' or beginner end of the market with a drop in demand.

I've been noticing quite a few "as new" and/or premium items struggling to sell here on SGL even after the sellers make (multiple) price reductions. So I'm not sure buyers are overly inclined to pay premium prices for S/H equipment just yet.

Some stuff gets snapped up immediately but I still think it's a buyers S/H market. Particularly so for mass market items.

• Like 4

If you buy used we all like to believe we have got a bargain but currently there is room for manoeuver on the sellers part due to the extended delivery times for new; but an unboxed large telescope and mount? we are talking collect only, which limits your marketplace somewhat. Maybe if you can find a safe method of delivery and include that in your sell price you can then gain some wriggle room on your price. At £450 I presume its the 150P on the eq3? Maybe try it as a whole initially and see what happens, then offer each bit individually if there are no takers. Wish you luck

Here is my take.

The "free-market" is not as "free" as some people wants to believe. In fact it's a very flawed economic theory.

See this way. What would happen if the "free-market" decides who gets the covid vaccine? just think about it for 5 min.

So then, what the best approach? That's something they are still figuring out at the economy school.

In my own moral point of view, you shouldn't aim at making any profit, otherwise you would be doing some sort of scalping.  

Now, I have seen senior members referencing current retail prices when selling second hand items here. I think that's totally valid as long as you are honest and you are not intentionally price gouging or scalping to make a quick profit. 

• Like 1

I've noticed popular items that are long out of stock are commanding near new list prices on Cloudy Nights Classifieds and are selling within a day.  Things like Celestron EdgeHD scopes, for instance.  It really depends on the demand for the particular item you're selling.

As another example, houses in our local area are commanding 7% over list price with an average of 70 cash offers in the first 24 hours.  Thus, it depends on the situation for used items.  Desirability and scarcity for astro gear and location for real estate.