Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power and USB Hub alternatives ?

Hi All,

I spent a good amount if time last night searching for an alternative to the Pegasus Powerbox branded products. I came away scratching my head wondering surely somewhere out there like maplins must sell a USB Hub that also has 12v DC outputs too ? Nothing against the Pegasus products I'm sure they're spot on but cant deny that over £300 for power and usb hub its expensive, even if it was a two box solution separate USB Hub/12v Hub, but its the 12v Distribution box I couldn't find.

Has anyone on SGL found a reasonably priced workaround to a Pegasus PB Advance ?

Cheers

Andy H

I'm busy fitting out a controls box for my newly installed pier.  I couldn't find what you described so ended up with this 12v/10A supply with cable splitter £23 from Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0838TY8BZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm not using the splitter cable as I have printed a flange to mount a number of 12v sockets on and will run cables directly to that.

I also bought this USB to Ethernet link, cost £60
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EV33R8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found an issue with that while testing and am awaiting the supplier getting back to me.  With one end connected to my laptop USB and the other end connected via Ethernet cable but no power supply plugged in, the unit still works.  It is sending the USB 5v down the Ethernet to power the remote end.
The issue is that the 5v is also presented on the power supply input socket.  As I'm using the PSU above to power this too the back-feed is enough to light up the power LED on the PSU.  I'm concerned what would happen with other devices connected to the common 12v - would it draw excess current from the link and damage it?

As I say, I'm waiting to hear from the manufacturer...

All the best

Michael

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

I'm busy fitting out a controls box for my newly installed pier.  I couldn't find what you described so ended up with this 12v/10A supply with cable splitter £23 from Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0838TY8BZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm not using the splitter cable as I have printed a flange to mount a number of 12v sockets on and will run cables directly to that.

I also bought this USB to Ethernet link, cost £60
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EV33R8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found an issue with that while testing and am awaiting the supplier getting back to me.  With one end connected to my laptop USB and the other end connected via Ethernet cable but no power supply plugged in, the unit still works.  It is sending the USB 5v down the Ethernet to power the remote end.
The issue is that the 5v is also presented on the power supply input socket.  As I'm using the PSU above to power this too the back-feed is enough to light up the power LED on the PSU.  I'm concerned what would happen with other devices connected to the common 12v - would it draw excess current from the link and damage it?

As I say, I'm waiting to hear from the manufacturer...

All the best

Michael

That Ethernet box looks just the job !! For the usb side of things, I’ve currently got a powered usb hub but this one does look like a worthy upgrade if I can’t find a solution in one box, thank you.

9 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

I have a deepskydad dc hub for 12v power https://deepskydad.com/dchub2.

I've finally got around to checking the DSD DC Hub you suggested and it looks to be just the item I'm looking for.

Can I ask you how do you use yours ? how do you supply power to the box ? how you use the USB ports ? etc etc...

and I guess any issues with shipping from Slovenia since Brexit ? or did you purchase before ?

Andy H

12 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

I've finally got around to checking the DSD DC Hub you suggested and it looks to be just the item I'm looking for.

Can I ask you how do you use yours ? how do you supply power to the box ? how you use the USB ports ? etc etc...

and I guess any issues with shipping from Slovenia since Brexit ? or did you purchase before ?

Andy H

Usb are only power ports not data , I use one to power my dslr via a usb converter , I power my 12v DSD  autofocus unit and fan on primary , I supply power from a box I made which is fitted to pier supplied from a Nevada psu in the shed ,I bought whilst in the EU , ask Pavle any questions regards delivery to uk he will respond quickly .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2021 at 09:36, Newforestgimp said:

Thank you for this suggestion, it’s arrived and it’s such a neat solution and wasn’t silly money !!!

5F642383-464A-47E3-89D5-D8A0908919D7.jpeg

Thanks for asking this question. I came on to do just the same. Would you mind telling me what the make/model usb hub is? The manufacturer's name just vanishes out of the frame...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark - Coventry said:

Thanks for asking this question. I came on to do just the same. Would you mind telling me what the make/model usb hub is? The manufacturer's name just vanishes out of the frame...

Hi the USB hub is a RSHTECH 4 Data port & 1 Charging port on amazon £20.99 it is aluminium and 12v powered but i wouldnt call it industrial. Time will tell how long it will last but so far so good....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Hi the USB hub is a RSHTECH 4 Data port & 1 Charging port on amazon £20.99 it is aluminium and 12v powered but i wouldnt call it industrial. Time will tell how long it will last but so far so good....

Thanks. The profile of the two devices is remarkably similar and they look like they sit in nice balance. And at nearly £200 less than the Powerbox Advance I am going to give this a try.

Mark

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mark - Coventry said:

Thanks. The profile of the two devices is remarkably similar and they look like they sit in nice balance. And at nearly £200 less than the Powerbox Advance I am going to give this a try.

Mark

The little DC hub is a winner. I’ve now mounted both with strong Velcro so it’s neater 👍

12 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

The little DC hub is a winner. I’ve now mounted both with strong Velcro so it’s neater 👍

That's good to know as I have one winging it's way to me 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, callisto said:

That's good to know as I have one winging it's way to me 😀

Well, my Hub was posted yesterday from Slovenia via DHL and it arrived this morning....now thats fast, thanks Pavle (Deep Sky Dad) 👍

Edited by callisto
change wording
  • Like 1