Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wow! Wow! Wow! Orion with night vision

I've had my OVNI night vision for over 6 months now but poor health has meant little observing.

However, I managed almost an hour tonight on the first really transparent moonless night since Xmas.

I used my 10 inch f/4.8 Dob at prime focus, both with and without a 7nm filter from my Bortle 4 sky.

With Orion high in the south it was a natural target.

Oh, my God! What a feast! M42 was spectacular. It was huge - so much bigger than I was used to!

I then spent the rest of the session just sweeping the area. Almost everywhere I looked there was nebulosity!

I carried on longer than I should have, but it was well worth it. Now I want more!

• Like 23

Grab the chances as Orion makes way for “boring Galaxy season”... Cygnus and friends will be back in the summer and Cepheus is a treat! Good to hear you’ve had a good session.

Peter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Grab the chances as Orion makes way for “boring Galaxy season”... Cygnus and friends will be back in the summer and Cepheus is a treat! Good to hear you’ve had a good session.

Peter

best time of the year galaxy season

love leo. seeing 9+ galaxys in the same fov is awsome

3 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Cheers, Peter.

I've come back down to earth now!  I'm going to have to take a look at my Bracken atlas to identify the various nebulae - it was disorientating with night vision as I've only ever used glass on that area.

sounds like you had a amazing time

• Like 1