SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi all,

id like to know what you guys and gals use to clean your lens which type of cloths, spray for cleaning or protection, and dust blowers.

there seems to be a big difference in price for some of this gear I personally like a company call “Urth”  but although eco they are pricey 

thorough please thanks!!

I start with one of those squeezable puffers to blow away anything loose, then a brush that retracts like a pen,  These 2 items are available in kits on Amazon very cheaply.

Then I use Zeiss Lens Wipes.  They're individually sealed in small packets and so don't dry out.  Most importantly though, unlike a cloth, they're always clean.  I bought them in a box of 200 off Amazon for a tenner. 

I notice Zeiss has brought out a lens cleaning kit with a microfibre cloth.

https://www.amazon.in/Zeiss-16211-Lens-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B00OKK8LV6

Be careful what you use the Zeiss wipes on. They can damage certain coatings although probably OK on most eyepieces.,

BTW the Baader microfibre cloths are machine washable.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I bought a bottle of Zeiss Lens Cleaning Spray (sold and fulfilled by Amazon so shouldn’t be fake), which states it’s suitable for all optical surfaces, including cameras. However, I have found that it leaves a streaky residue on the binoculars and eyepieces I’ve used it on. In some cases I then had to use another product to remove the streaks. Not sure if it’s due to coated lenses. Works great on spectacles, phone screens etc, without any residue. Maybe the wipes are a different formula.

I’ve just bought some Baader Optical fluid and while that leaves some very faint residue marks, these can easily be wiped off with a cloth following a light breath over the surface, if you feel it’s necessary. I’ve only used it on a handful of eyepieces so far but it does seem to do the job, and you only need to use a small amount of the fluid each time, so I’m likely to stick with that for now.

I have also used lens brushes to lightly flick off any stubborn bits, that won’t blow off, before using the fluid.  However, you need to be careful the bristles don’t get contaminated over time as they can then leave streaks themselves.

I only used a cloth for the final polish, once all the dirt was off. I used plain Kleenex tissues for applying the fluid. The Baader fluid feels a little sticky when wet so initially I dab the surface rather than wipe in order to pick any dirt straight off the lens. I then use a fresh Kleenex with some more fluid to clean it normally. I use the blower between each stage.

Edited by AstroTim

On 01/03/2021 at 13:38, johninderby said:

This is what I use. Not cheap but lasts for years and is the very best. And yes the blower first.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-set-cleaning-fluid-and-cloth.html

Can you use on SCT corrector plate and ED refractor lens, or is this just for EPs??

Here is the Baader Wonder Fluid instruction manual with their fantastic Baader->English translation

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/110/product/1661/cleaning_and_maintenance_of_optics_a_short_instruction_guide.pdf

"Cleaning an objective requires peace of mind, time – and a cloudy day, where you can’t observe anyway, with all your kids and spouses being off to other grounds"

I make a point of ensuring my spouses never meet!

Edited by Pixies

26 minutes ago, W0nderste said:

Can you use on SCT corrector plate and ED refractor lens, or is this just for EPs??

Yes it is perfect for SCT corrector plate and refractor objectives.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/110/product/1662/cleaning_and_maintenance_of_optics_a_short_instruction_guide.pdf