Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2169 (The 37) by accident

Spile

I was supposed to have been targeting NCC 2244 last night but I got lost and accidentally stumbled across a very interesting little cluster (NGC 2169) which I can highly recommend.

Known as the "37" because that's what it looks like if it were upside down, it is also known as the Shopping Cart or Little Pleiades.

It is above Betelgeuse and looks great  in both high and low power. 

37.png

• Like 6

Snap,  I was trying out my new Dob 200P started with Sirius to check my collimation, (first time I have done that task) moved up Orion to Betelgeuse, then I wanted to head over to Electra just above Mars and made the stupid mistake of moving the scope the wrong way and stumbled on what I found out later was NGC2169.

For my second night out with the new scope I came back in with a big smile.

• Like 3

Checked out NGC2169 tonight on your recommendation @Spile A lovely little open cluster, can’t believe I’ve not seen it before. Also Struve 848, not sure whether this is a triple or a double, or even a quadruple, there’s a tight companion next to the primary but two other stars forming a triangle, can’t seem to find anywhere to confirm these are gravitionally bound though

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Checked out NGC2169 tonight on your recommendation @Spile A lovely little open cluster, can’t believe I’ve not seen it before. Also Struve 848, not sure whether this is a triple or a double, or even a quadruple, there’s a tight companion next to the primary but two other stars forming a triangle, can’t seem to find anywhere to confirm these are gravitionally bound though

Yeah that's the double, listed as HD 41943 in Sky Safari. It's in the "3" not the "7",  my mistake. Ive split it at high magnification before