NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIAIR or Pegasus Powerbox?

As I have to setup my kit each time I go out and image I am looking at helping speed up the tiresome process.

I currently have a USB hub which helps reduce some of the cabling but I would like to consolidate the power as well.
For this I have been looking at the Pegasus Powerbox  'Advanced' model. One of the issues is that all of my device are USB2 and the Pegasus only supports x3 USB2 devices with the last one only working with USB3 devices. This would mean either having to plug the forth device directly into my laptop or adding an additional USB hub which seems to contradict the reason for buying the device. The 'Ultimate' version is double the cost at an eye watering £540 which for an extra USB port is not really an option.

I then noticed the ASIAIR and began looking intothis

It has x4 12v power outputs and x2 USB3 and x2 USB2 ports, do anyone know if the USB3 ports allow USB2 devices to be connected?
Secondly I do not own a ZWO camera and therefore I wonder if there is any point looking at this as a alternative? It would suggest because of this I would still need my laptop which is fine by me but would it actually work? As the device does not have a USB B output it seems the only outputs are Wi-fi or Ethernet. How or will this work with my Windows 10 operating system. Does the Wi-fi or ethernet send new COM ports to Windows? I am not concerned about having to use a laptop though of course controlling this from a tablet would be nice in the future. For the moment its about helping me reduce my setup times.

Lastly the maximum power output of the ASIAIR is reports as 6A whereas the Pegasus is 10A (maybe 12A?). I do not know my exact draw but would imagine it maybe close to 5-6A, (Mount, CCD, Dew Heater.)

Thanks.

Pegasus all the way, they are different beasts altogether....one is a complete control set up with software to control just ZWO cameras, bit also has a few power outputs, , the other is a dedicated power supply set up to just power all your kit, with dew control too...

• Like 1

The pegasus powerbox and asiair are two entirely different devices. The asiair is a computer, not a bridge between your gear and the laptop. Also, it is blocked for non-zwo cameras (except dslr). If you plan to control everything through ascom from your laptop, the asiair will be useless, and you should go for a pegasus astro or just a powered usb hub

• Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 11:37, Stuart1971 said:

Pegasus all the way, they are different beasts altogether....one is a complete control set up with software to control just ZWO cameras, bit also has a few power outputs, , the other is a dedicated power supply set up to just power all your kit, with dew control too...

I can see the appeal of both, I like the ability to power and control via the pegasus & laptop combo but is there anyway if out in middle of nowhere i can use pegasus without Laptop ? & likewise when at home i like using the laptop to control everything. Would I be looking at somekind of Pegasus/raspberry pi/laptop combo ?

2 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

I can see the appeal of both, I like the ability to power and control via the pegasus & laptop combo but is there anyway if out in middle of nowhere i can use pegasus without Laptop ? & likewise when at home i like using the laptop to control everything. Would I be looking at somekind of Pegasus/raspberry pi/laptop combo ?

Well you can use Stellarmate or the superb free Astroberry with an RPI on the mount and use the APP on a tablet or a phone...and much like the ASIair but will work with any camera and the Pegasus hub...

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

The main difference between asiair and an indi/ekos based solution such as stellarmate or astroberry, is that you get a one package deal with the asiair. But you’re left at the mercy of one company and what they will support.  With the alternative, you may have to do some fiddling, but you have open software with a broad support and a large community. But also no guarantee for a solution if you run into problems.

• Like 1

Thanks, So hypothetically if I have a Pegasus Power Box and Astroberry on RPi could i plug in the astroberry to the PPB via usb in same way I would a laptop for example ? The issue I have with the ASIAIR PRO is exactly as you state its a great box but cant be used with anything other than ZWO or as a simple hub when you dont want to use the ZWO app. Looking for a solution so I can use phone/tablet out and about and laptop at home without re-cabling each time, not sure if that makes sense ?

33 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Thanks, So hypothetically if I have a Pegasus Power Box and Astroberry on RPi could i plug in the astroberry to the PPB via usb in same way I would a laptop for example ? The issue I have with the ASIAIR PRO is exactly as you state its a great box but cant be used with anything other than ZWO or as a simple hub when you dont want to use the ZWO app. Looking for a solution so I can use phone/tablet out and about and laptop at home without re-cabling each time, not sure if that makes sense ?

Well Stellarmate will do all that and you can use the SM app on tablet or phone...SM is really just a paid for version of Astroberry, with more features and the APP...it’s $49 for the OS

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newforestgimp said:

ZWO or as a simple hub when you dont want to use the ZWO app

Asiair without the app is just an overpriced raspberry pi. The asiair, if used as intended, is a great gadget afaIk. Just remember that it is sold by a company that sells astroimaging products, and they want to create an integrated imaging suite based on their products. If anyone doesn’t (want to) buy into that philosophy, the asiair may not be the right tool for them.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Stellarmate does look good but it looks like it doesn’t do the power management bit ? Still need separate power supplies for the gear , need someone to come up with an asiair pro that isn’t tied, a Pegasus Pro if you will.

Do you mean the Atikbase?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-accessories/atikbase-mini-computer-for-astrophotography-capture-control.html

not the cheapest version, but at least you don’t have to start tinkering with linux and hardware.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Do you mean the Atikbase?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-accessories/atikbase-mini-computer-for-astrophotography-capture-control.html

not the cheapest version, but at least you don’t have to start tinkering with linux and hardware.

Yes I keep meaning to ask FLO if that accepts none ATIK equipment. 

6 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Stellarmate does look good but it looks like it doesn’t do the power management bit ? Still need separate power supplies for the gear , need someone to come up with an asiair pro that isn’t tied, a Pegasus Pro if you will.

There is a Stellarmate Pro Plus on the way, with power ports and dew control....still in the manufacture stage due to being delayed by COVID...

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

Yes I keep meaning to ask FLO if that accepts none ATIK equipment. 

I think it does. When Atikbase was launched I read (Atik site I think it was) that it was developed in close cooperation with Jases Mutlaq. And it uses mostly open source software (not Ekos Live, I think).

Personally, I would get the RPi with Astroberry or INDI/Ekos, and a Pegasus Power box, and just strap one on top of the other. Both seem to be good at what they are designed for.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Personally, I would get the RPi with Astroberry or INDI/Ekos, and a Pegasus Power box, and just strap one on top of the other. Both seem to be good at what they are designed for.

I did just that about a year ago and find the combination great. I sandwich a TP-link 7 port USB3.0 hub between the two units. This is powered from one of the Powerbox 12V outputs, and it provides a 2.1A USB socket to power the RPi4. The current supplied is perfectly adequate since the RPi4 USB ports drive relatively low power to the directly connected devices (the TP-link unit and an SSD). 

Edited by Avocette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

I think it does. When Atikbase was launched I read (Atik site I think it was) that it was developed in close cooperation with Jases Mutlaq. And it uses mostly open source software (not Ekos Live, I think).

Agreed, this is what I use....👍🏼👍🏼

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

That could well be the one 👍

😮😮 That’s not even got the newer RPI 4 inside, it’s the much older RPI3 with just USB2, with Stellarmate software, and the price....£269...😮

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

😮😮 That’s not even got the newer RPI 4 inside, it’s the much older RPI3 with just USB2, with Stellarmate software, and the price....£269...😮

Yeah I’m now looking at power box and rpi4, I think although not a one box it’s more flexible and can swap out the rpi4 for laptop or replace with rpi5 etc and leave the power box in situ.

im a little concerned with the Astroberry set up, I assume you flash the micro sd that comes with the rpi or do I need a blank off the shelf micro sd ?

41 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Yeah I’m now looking at power box and rpi4, I think although not a one box it’s more flexible and can swap out the rpi4 for laptop or replace with rpi5 etc and leave the power box in situ.

im a little concerned with the Astroberry set up, I assume you flash the micro sd that comes with the rpi or do I need a blank off the shelf micro sd ?

I have never for an SD card with any RPI I have bought...you only get as part of a kit, but I would recommend getting a good quality 64gb version, as it will give you plenty of space to save images and download index files...

Also you can run it from an SSD drive via one of the USB 3 ports, this is how I run it...👍🏼

• Like 2

If you frequent the Asiair facebook groups you'll see a lot of users end up buying external power/usb solutions as well. That leaves the main selling point of the Asiair as 'ease of use' with the app it connects with. The major downside being the restricted equipment it supports being ZWO only, apart from the DSLR.

Astroberry can be used from a browser and needs the least expense to get a Pi setup, Stellarmate cab eb bought as an OS and has it's own app and same broswer connection as Astroberry. The Asisair has a pretty case and simple to use app.

I have all 3!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

If you frequent the Asiair facebook groups you'll see a lot of users end up buying external power/usb solutions as well. That leaves the main selling point of the Asiair as 'ease of use' with the app it connects with. The major downside being the restricted equipment it supports being ZWO only, apart from the DSLR.

Astroberry can be used from a browser and needs the least expense to get a Pi setup, Stellarmate cab eb bought as an OS and has it's own app and same broswer connection as Astroberry. The Asisair has a pretty case and simple to use app.

I have all 3!

Agreed, but the ASIair is way way way over priced for what it is......IMHO...👍🏼

• Like 1