Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead and Flame

Luke Newbould

Hi everyone,

Well, after quite a frustrating night I almost didn't bother sharing this one as I'm not really happy with it yet, but I feel it's important to sometimes share "failures" aswell as success! -after all, it happens to us all at every level of this hobby - whether just starting out or years into it!

Anyhow, I need to shoot it again (for much longer) on a better night, but that's probably a job for next winter season now from my location. I dont think there was much fundamentally wrong with my capture, just the conditions really.

Esprit 120 @f7

2600mc Pro colour camera

Optolong L-Extreme dual narrowband filter

17x5m frames, 100 gain.

Anyhow, here it is! - I also made a video detailing capture, for those interested, please check it out!

Thank you for looking :)

9717878_go1resample.thumb.jpg.1e578c3fcc0dffb699cd29f279bee75d.jpg

• Like 10

Haha! Very kind of you both, I think perhaps we're all our own worst critics? 😀 - maybe I was overly down on the image, it's not a total tragedy given the conditions on the night! I absolutely love the target so I want to do it justice at some point 👍

16 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

I agree with whats already said, not much wrong with that. What are you using for processing because I do think you have more in the data than you are showing.

I'm using PixInsight, sorry I should have put that in the main post! - I agree that there's more there, I just personally didn't think it was worth the trade off for even more noise to bring it out, it's always a balancing act eh? :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luke Newbould said:

Thanks Mick! - She's called Freya, and she keeps my equipment safe and the other two boy dogs in line! (Henry the gsd/berner cross, and Nugget the pug 😂)

Lovely.

My dogs used to lye outside the observatory door all the time i was in.Nearly tripped over them once or twice.

I had them at seperate times,but great companions.

Looking Freya,i,m sure she is the Matriarch.😁

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, astro mick said:

Lovely.

My dogs used to lye outside the observatory door all the time i was in.Nearly tripped over them once or twice.

I had them at seperate times,but great companions.

Looking Freya,i,m sure she is the Matriarch.😁

You're not alone there mate, they've almost legged me up plenty of times hehe, usually when carrying the scope in or out! - she definitely rules the roost by the way 😁

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

A great result....superb video....It gives a good perspective for your final image......

Thank you so much Peter, that's really kind of you :) I'm glad the video offered context for the final shot