NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got spagetti into the RASA

gorann

This two-panel mosaic was taken under rather difficult conditions with the moon partially up, a snow-covered ground brightening the sky and poor seeing due to ice crystals in the air, so a wise person would not have aimed at this very faint object. But given the circumstances I am relatively pleased with the result.

From Wikipedia: Simeis 147, also known as the Spaghetti Nebula, SNR G180.0-01.7 or Sharpless 2-240, is a supernova remnant (SNR) in the Milky Way, straddling the border between the constellations Auriga and Taurus. The nebulous area is fairly large with an almost spherical shell and filamentary structure. The remnant has an apparent diameter of approximately 3 degrees, an estimated distance of approximately 3000 (±350) light-years, and an age of approximately 40,000 years. It is believed that after its stellar explosion a rapidly spinning neutron star known as pulsar PSR J0538+2817 was left behind in the nebula core, emitting a strong radio signal.

Equipment: RASA 8 and ASI2600MC (gain 100) with an IDAS NBX OiiiHa filter. 92 x 5 min subs so totally 7.7 hours. Collected during two nights on February 3-4. Stacked and stitched in PI and processed mainly in PI.

20210204 Simeis 147 RASA NBX PS38smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 18

3 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Another excellent image Goran..   How did you do the stitching?  The new Photometric Mosaic script is worth looking at.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I just did the ordinary mosaic star alignment in PI. Where do I find that script? Will it both align the stars and match the brightness and colours?

Just now, MartinB said:

That's superb.  The amount of OIII you have picked up is amazing, a tribute not just to the fast scope set up and the NBX filter but also your processing skills.  Well done indeed!

Thanks a lot Martin! Yes I was also surprised how much Oiii signal I collected, more than in many other spagetti images I have seen. Great filter and the only issue I have had with it are Ha halos around bright red stars but Hutech are now replacing the NBX filter with the new NBZ for free. Apparently they have fixed the halo issue and FLO will send me one when they get it.

Hi Goran

Its in  "Script" .... "Mosaic" ...  then there are three scripts  "Photometric Mosaic" " SplitMosaic Tile" and "Trim Mosaic Tile*..   There's a very good Helpfile top get you started ..  But in short..  you a) Plate Solve each integration...  use the "Mosaic by Co-ordinates" script (in Script..  Utilities)  to register everything ..   Trim each tile to remove any edge effects caused by registering ... then use the Photometric mosaic to join it all together..  I've found it works well.   

Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gorann said:

This two-panel mosaic was taken under rather difficult conditions with the moon partially up, a snow-covered ground brightening the sky and poor seeing due to ice crystals in the air, so a wise person would not have aimed at this very faint object. But given the circumstances I am relatively pleased with the result.

From Wikipedia: Simeis 147, also known as the Spaghetti Nebula, SNR G180.0-01.7 or Sharpless 2-240, is a supernova remnant (SNR) in the Milky Way, straddling the border between the constellations Auriga and Taurus. The nebulous area is fairly large with an almost spherical shell and filamentary structure. The remnant has an apparent diameter of approximately 3 degrees, an estimated distance of approximately 3000 (±350) light-years, and an age of approximately 40,000 years. It is believed that after its stellar explosion a rapidly spinning neutron star known as pulsar PSR J0538+2817 was left behind in the nebula core, emitting a strong radio signal.

Equipment: RASA 8 and ASI2600MC (gain 100) with an IDAS NBX OiiiHa filter. 92 x 5 min subs so totally 7.7 hours. Collected during two nights on February 3-4. Stacked and stitched in PI and processed mainly in PI.

20210204 Simeis 147 RASA NBX PS37smallSign.jpg

Impressive image. Can I ask what was the sky quality/ bortle  when this was taken please.

54 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Martin! Yes I was also surprised how much Oiii signal I collected, more than in many other spagetti images I have seen. Great filter and the only issue I have had with it are Ha halos around bright red stars but Hutech are now replacing the NBX filter with the new NBZ for free. Apparently they have fixed the halo issue and FLO will send me one when they get it.

I have just received my NBZ filter!  For use with a new ZWO2600MC and 200mm F2.8 lens

2 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Impressive image. Can I ask what was the sky quality/ bortle  when this was taken please.

Thanks!

On good clear nights without a moon my SQM may reach 21.6 (so Bortle 2) here but for this image with the moon partially up and snow on the ground reflecting light my SQM meter showed 20.4 (Bortle 4).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks!

On good clear nights without a moon my SQM may reach 21.6 (so Bortle 2) here but for this image with the moon partially up and snow on the ground reflecting light my SQM meter showed 20.4 (Bortle 4).

I am jealous of your skies. Here I am usually at about bortle 8 according the clear outside app.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

Great work, the 2600MC Pro was already on my shopping list..... May need to add a RASA 8 onto it as well 😂

Thanks! That is a great camera and the RASA 8 is a must! Just keep looking for anyone having these jems in stock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks! That is a great camera and the RASA 8 is a must! Just keep looking for anyone having these jems in stock.

Yeah, FLO had stock of the camera last time I checked, unfortunately a bit more saving is required yet ☹

• Like 1