SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTi - advice on external power cable

Mark at Beaufort

I am thinking of buying this mount but I need advice on an appropriate cable to connect to my 12 volt external power source (car jump starter)

It states that you need an External Power Supply (DC 7.5 - 14 volt, 0.75A) Tip Positive - to be honest I don't have a clue what this means. I suppose I need a cable with a cigar lighter connection and an appropriate connector to go into the mount. Can someone explain this to me and also suggest a suitable cable. What I don't want to do is to burn the motor on the mount when I start to use it.

As you can see I need educating on electonics.

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The best power cable is one of the Lynx ones.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html

Any regulated 12v power supply will do. Preferably 2amps pr more.The important bit is that it has a regulated output so the mount gets the proper voltage.

Thanks John so I assume I could plug this cable into the car's 12 volt socket and it work fine and safe.

An alternative is a £1.87 cable & a Talentcell 12v/6000mah Lithium Ion Battery Pack.

Works perfectly even below 0° and frost. One charge lasts for months. Assuming the rig is used for a couple of hours a week.

You can also plug your phone into the USB socket at the same time as using the mount. Stops your phone conking out due to Synscan Pro and Sky Safari chugging away.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

An alternative is a £1.87 cable & a Talentcell 12v/6000mah Lithium Ion Battery Pack.

Works perfectly even below 0° and frost. One charge lasts for months. Assuming the rig is used for a couple of hours a week.

You can also plug your phone into the USB socket at the same time as using the mount. Stops your phone conking out due to Synscan Pro and Sky Safari chugging away.

Just what I’ve been looking for, thanks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

16 minutes ago, GSmith said:

Just what I’ve been looking for, thanks!

I purchased the talentcell  @ScouseSpaceCadet mentioned in previous posts. I cannot fault it.

Edited by Dean Hale
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks for that. This seems a better idea than carrying the large 12 volt car jump starter to the mount. I also have noted that it is mentioned several times on the Amazon site it's ability to run telescopes and their mounts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Just what I use on my az gti, though mine is the 3000mah version and lasts for ages,still on first charge and still have 4 lights after 3 very cold frosty 2 hour sessions 

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Just what I use on my az gti, though mine is the 3000mah version and lasts for ages,still on first charge and still have 4 lights after 3 very cold frosty 2 hour sessions 

Yes the 3000mah version is also quite a bit cheaper. The 6000 may even be over kill. I just happened to get mine in a sale. It's still on 4/5 lights after several months.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Yes the 3000mah version is also quite a bit cheaper. The 6000 may even be over kill. I just happened to get mine in a sale. It's still on 4/5 lights after several months.

That's holding its charge brilliantly, That's the only reason I got the 3000mah one as it was in my budget, they are fantastic portable power supplies. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Richard_B said:

It could work but I'm not entirely sure on it, I use the talent cell power pack as mentioned above. Sorry I can't be much more help, I know the mount runs between the voltage amounts on this image. 

Screenshot_20210519_155252_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee