Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY268M has arrived

Xsubmariner

On 10/02/2021 at 10:24, tooth_dr said:

I did manage to get some images last night with the QHY268M on the Epsilon but I have a few questions, if anyone can help please.

In SGPro, when I opened the settings dialogue box for the camera (pink/purple window - I've attached a google image below), the READMODE selection drop down was greyed out on the bottom right.  The top left drop down box had options for DSO or PLANETARY, with gain and offset already set, I think the gain was something like 152 (it was quite a high figure).  I just moved it to GAIN = 0, and I picked OFFSET = 15 (histogram just cleared the bottom)

Any suggestions? 

SDK update may help. Did you have the 268M connected to a program when you opened this up? I noted that when I have the 268M connected in SGPro and I open up the settings, that box is greyed out. It will only let me change the mode after disconnecting the 268M in SGPro.

Finally a successful test run! I've been wanting to capture Markarian's Chain for quite a while, and this is a good start for me. Really liking the field of view that this sensor gives me with the FSQ85, and I'm sure the 1.01x flattener is helping in terms of star distortion and field flatness.

QHY268M with Chroma Luminance filter 36 mm + Takahashi FSQ85-EDX - 13*120s + 49*180s (total integration time 2h53min)  in High Gain Mode @ Gain 0 + Offset 30, processed in APP:

Markarians_Chain-Luminance-session_1-lpc.thumb.png.4989835b828543186bb15a9d8bfb3c84.png

Below is a raw vs calibrated sub (bias + flats + darks + bad pixel map):

Uncalibrated.png.cde13a9f59534b09a24c91e05537f6ab.png         Calibrated.png.2296170963a280e2702e2e4002a92a3c.png

It seems that there's no need to use dark flats, which is great!

Edited by SyedT
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SyedT said:

Finally a successful test run! I've been wanting to capture Markarian's Chain for quite a while, and this is a good start for me. Really liking the field of view that this sensor gives me with the FSQ85, and I'm sure the 1.01x flattener is helping in terms of star distortion and field flatness.

QHY268M with Chroma Luminance filter 36 mm + Takahashi FSQ85-EDX - 13*120s + 49*180s (total integration time 2h53min)  in High Gain Mode @ Gain 0 + Offset 30, processed in APP:

Markarians_Chain-Luminance-session_1-lpc.thumb.png.4989835b828543186bb15a9d8bfb3c84.png

Below is a raw vs calibrated sub (bias + flats + darks + bad pixel map):

Uncalibrated.png.cde13a9f59534b09a24c91e05537f6ab.png         Calibrated.png.2296170963a280e2702e2e4002a92a3c.png

It seems that there's no need to use dark flats, which is great!

Nice!  I also imaged this two nights ago, I got a couple of hours on it.  I just havent had time to process it yet!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SyedT said:

SDK update may help. Did you have the 268M connected to a program when you opened this up? I noted that when I have the 268M connected in SGPro and I open up the settings, that box is greyed out. It will only let me change the mode after disconnecting the 268M in SGPro.

This was exactly the problem, thanks for replying.  Once disconnected I could make the adjustments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Nice!  I also imaged this two nights ago, I got a couple of hours on it.  I just havent had time to process it yet!

Got lucky last night with some clear skies after work, so I thought I might as well! Want to capture 10 hours in Lum as a minimum.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

This was exactly the problem, thanks for replying.  Once disconnected I could make the adjustments.

Glad it's sorted!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

Nice M45 without halos, is that the Chroma filter?

Yes, the filters are very good, I fully recommend them. They're 36 mm so there's clear vignetting present but it's easily tackled with well-exposed flats.

• Like 1

I threw in all the data I had on Markarians Chain from the Epsilon - about 4.5 hours.  Maybe focus was out, or spacing isnt right, or I need to be more selective on subs, but not loving it to be honest.  I havent really tried to process it because every time I do the stars just blow up and I hate how they look.  I dont have flats because my flat panel broke, but I ordered a new one and it's due to be here this week coming.  I have calibrated the lights with darks and bias.  Anyone fancy a quick look at the raw stack to see if I have a problem with my processing or a problem with my kit.  As much I love the F2.8 reflector, I cant help but be really envious of the lovely stars of the fracs.

Cheers

Adam.

Markarians-Lum-session_1-mod-St.jpg

Markarians-Lum-session_1.fits

Slightly envious of those who have managed to capture any data as my skies have been gack ever since receiving my camera.

One thing that threw me off was the supposed 12.5 mm back focus. This only applies if you are attaching the camera to a QHY wheel which seats on the camera's shoulder. If using one of the threaded adaptors then the BF is 14.5 mm. I now have to dismantle my train and replace the M69 x 30 mm extension ring with an M48 28.2 mm spacing using a variable (And hence weaker) spacer.

And the MO is forecasting rain for pretty much all of the week.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

If using one of the threaded adaptors then the BF is 14.5 mm.

Are you sure?  I had a quick look at the diagrams and interpreted it as still 12.5mm even with the M48 adapter.  If I am wrong then I’m out by 2mm with the above scope. 

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

It's just under the table of specs Here. Thanks to @Spongey for linking in the other mono camera thread.

Yep you are 100%!  I though that lip at 1.8mm was on the spacer but in fact it’s the front of the camera.  FFS, that explains why stars are [removed word] and that’s two night’s of moon-free luminance lost.   Cheers Dave 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

One thing that threw me off was the supposed 12.5 mm back focus. This only applies if you are attaching the camera to a QHY wheel which seats on the camera's shoulder. If using one of the threaded adaptors then the BF is 14.5 mm. I now have to dismantle my train and replace the M69 x 30 mm extension ring with an M48 28.2 mm spacing using a variable (And hence weaker) spacer.

I've had problems with the BF even *with* a QHY filter wheel, I've removed the 1mm spacer to get the stars in the corner of my SharpStar 61 roughly round, rather than oblong.

I've finally got an image to show. The stars in the corners are not great, back focus was out, I think I've improved it, but the weather isn't looking like I'll be testing any time soon.

Just under 5 hours with the QHY268M on the SharpStar 61 EDPH MkII, with the Antlia pro 3nm Ha and SII filter and their 3.5nm OIII.

IC_405_HSO_v3.jpg

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Endolf said:

I've finally got an image to show. The stars in the corners are not great, back focus was out, I think I've improved it, but the weather isn't looking like I'll be testing any time soon.

Just under 5 hours with the QHY268M on the SharpStar 61 EDPH MkII, with the Antlia pro 3nm Ha and SII filter and their 3.5nm OIII.

Well yes the stars in corners not quite there but still great image for 5 hrs of data. The target itself is quite detailed and good contrast with a lot of the finer stuff visible. I don't know how much of that is due to filters or camera but an impressive early image 🙂 

Steve

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I threw in all the data I had on Markarians Chain from the Epsilon - about 4.5 hours.  Maybe focus was out, or spacing isnt right, or I need to be more selective on subs, but not loving it to be honest.  I havent really tried to process it because every time I do the stars just blow up and I hate how they look.  I dont have flats because my flat panel broke, but I ordered a new one and it's due to be here this week coming.  I have calibrated the lights with darks and bias.  Anyone fancy a quick look at the raw stack to see if I have a problem with my processing or a problem with my kit.  As much I love the F2.8 reflector, I cant help but be really envious of the lovely stars of the fracs.

Cheers

Adam.

Markarians-Lum-session_1.fits
107.2 MB · 6 downloads

Time to go back to a refractor? :D 

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Count me in - My camera and FW arrived today and so I guess another week of cloud also came with it 🙂 

1613494372964.thumb.jpg.a06b605bbc0e988c2379243fc8d90354.jpg

Steve

Very nice Steve.  Did that dust cap come on the camera or is it off the EFW?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Cool, I got a flimsy camera lens style cover on my camera.

Must be something they changed on the 2nd batch. 
I hadn't taken too much notice of it as just not had time to look at it much so far but just looked now and it is quite a nice touch, made of diecast aluminium as well not plastic.

Maybe drop your supplier an email see if they can get some replacements for the first batch ???

Steve