Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More Blue Takahashi Focuser

37 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

The MEF3 still looks a bit neater,  and does not seem to protrude quite as far... But it’s a good reduction on the price of the MEF3..👍🏼

Yeh looking at them side by side I see what you mean however the focuser on the FS-60 is quite small in comparison to the likes of the FC-100 series where it might not protrude so far.

Another thing I noticed the course focuser wheel off the More Blue looks very similar to the wheels on my Starlight focuser unlike the MEF 3 that seems a better Tak match 🤨  What I need now is for More Blue to start making some matching wheels 🤣

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

I hope to buy this focuser eventually as it looks the part. Looking at the flat plate , if the single  hole was a slot type similar to the slot holes at other end, would that allow the focuser wheel to slide closer in ? Hopefully that makes sense 

1 minute ago, Joe G said:

I hope to buy this focuser eventually as it looks the part. Looking at the flat plate , if the single  hole was a slot type similar to the slot holes at other end, would that allow the focuser wheel to slide closer in ? Hopefully that makes sense 

Yes I understand, but I would assume that it’s hit its stop when the end of the slotted hole was hit...but maybe it would go in further...maybe @jock1958 can enlighten us...

14 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes I understand, but I would assume that it’s hit its stop when the end of the slotted hole was hit...but maybe it would go in further...maybe @jock1958 can enlighten us...

I will have to confirm that but Im pretty sure the focuser assembly was pushed in as far as possible and contacted the end of the pinion shaft before I tightened the screws on the torque plate. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Jones said:

Okay, clear skies tonight, so no pressure. But tomorrow, when it's cloudy again, and you guys are board stiff; which one of you brave souls are going to reach for the rusty hacksaw and slice that pinion down?

Before anyone goes down the DIY hacksaw route this focuser was designed to fit a large percentage of the Takahashi range so might for example be a more aesthetic and better fit on the larger FC-100 series of focusers compared to my Mini Tak FS-60  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jock1958 said:

I will have to confirm that but Im pretty sure the focuser assembly was pushed in as far as possible and contacted the end of the pinion shaft before I tightened the screws on the torque plate. 

@Stuart1971 @Joe GI loosened it all off and It moved in approx 2mm before it bottomed out.  

If you really wanted to you could extend the slots or the hole in the torque plate with a needle file but that will only weaken it and for the sake of 2mm is it worth it?
PS: I suspect the plate is made of aluminium as it’s very light and non magnetic so would be easy to file and ruin forever 😬

1998C839-BEB9-4E11-884D-230BAD795C78.jpeg

D1F2BA00-9AF8-4643-B32A-85831C886CA6.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes I get that, I think on this new version the metal bracket is thicker, which was needed TBH, and there is a nylon washer so I think the original would be too short, the thread on this new brass one is a lot longer..👍🏼

@Stuart1971 @JeremyS Yep the thread is a lot longer 

A0A22E29-1BEB-40A3-89F3-246E2AD1BE07.jpeg

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

@Stuart1971 @JeremyS Yep the thread is a lot longer 

A0A22E29-1BEB-40A3-89F3-246E2AD1BE07.jpeg

Hi, a little off topic but can I ask is your FS60 the C or CB version, as I am trying to find the back focus distance (from back of focuser housing to focus point) for the CB, as the system charts I have seen all contradict each other...I thought it was 151mm but have seen since it’s 163mm, any thoughts..👍🏼

14 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hi, a little off topic but can I ask is your FS60 the C or CB version, as I am trying to find the back focus distance (from back of focuser housing to focus point) for the CB, as the system charts I have seen all contradict each other...I thought it was 151mm but have seen since it’s 163mm, any thoughts..👍🏼

Mines a 2004 FS-60C which I bought second hand it came with the shortened CSV tube, x1.7 extender, 2” visual back, standard 1.25” visual back and adapters, clamp and finder. I spent ages messing about with the various options to bring my eyepieces into focus, just now I’m using it in the FS-60Q mode with the CSV tube, x1.7 extender and 2” visual back and it’s been brilliant. Luckily the guy I bought it off had done a lot of the ground work and provided me with a wealth of information. If you need any further info PM me. 

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Mines a 2004 FS-60C which I bought second hand it came with the shortened CSV tube, x1.7 extender, 2” visual back, standard 1.25” visual back and adapters, clamp and finder. I spent ages messing about with the various options to bring my eyepieces into focus, just now I’m using it in the FS-60Q mode with the CSV tube, x1.7 extender and 2” visual back and it’s been brilliant. Luckily the guy I bought it off had done a lot of the ground work and provided me with a wealth of information. If you need any further info PM me. 

So any idea of the back focus distance...??

10 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

So any idea of the back focus distance...??

Sorry misread your question I don’t know?
I think there is a difference in the length of tubes on the CB & C versions that will affect the distance of the back focus. Maybe @DirkSteele who’s written some cracking reviews on all versions of the FS-60 series could help out? 

13 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Fitted mine today very nice bit of kit solid smooth and very well made I did manage to use the original screw it’s very slightly 

larger diameter but goes through and seems enough thread to hold 

Found my original Tak screw slightly to big as well but didn’t pursue in trying to fit it, did you omit the white nylon washer difficult to see in your photos? 

Focuser looks very nice on your Sky 90 by the way 👍

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Found my original Tak screw slightly to big as well but didn’t pursue in trying to fit it, did you omit the white nylon washer difficult to see in your photos? 

Focuser looks very nice on your Sky 90 by the way 👍

Hi yes I did omit the washer as it’s not on original set up I have the MEF3 on my TSA120 and this feels as good thanks for the heads up on these by the way 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Hi yes I did omit the washer as it’s not on original set up I have the MEF3 on my TSA120 and this feels as good thanks for the heads up on these by the way 

Glad to hear that it compares favourably with the MEF3 and a big money saving as well 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/02/2021 at 12:22, jock1958 said:

Sorry misread your question I don’t know?
I think there is a difference in the length of tubes on the CB & C versions that will affect the distance of the back focus. Maybe @DirkSteele who’s written some cracking reviews on all versions of the FS-60 series could help out? 

As I recall it is 162mm of back focus but as mentioned, that does vary depending on version you have (CB and C) as the main tube is a different length.  My measurement is for the CB.

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

As I recall it is 162mm of back focus but as mentioned, that does vary depending on version you have (CB and C) as the main tube is a different length.  My measurement is for the CB.

Yes I have read it’s 163, but the diagram I posted above shows the CB version as 151....so am totally confused...🤔🤔

this one...

21BB7D79-282E-4539-A608-F266F8A32231.jpeg