SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More Blue Takahashi Focuser

Been looking at focuser upgrade options for my Mini Tak FS-60 and and a guy on the other forum recommended a More Blue Precision Focuser for Takahashi scopes sold by AstroHutech, it looks very similar to the MEF-3, however it's a lot cheaper at $169!

The other thing that's appealing is it works at a 12:1 ratio instead of 7:1 like the MEF-3 which equates to an even finer focus adjustment.

I don't think its been out that long as I can't find a lot on line about it?  Wonder if there are any vendors in the UK / Europe that might import it @FLO?

IMG_1093.jpeg.b2f73355a34ecb12bdb9e867c54733d8.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 2

Contacted @FLO today and they’re in discussions and if all goes well they will add these products to their website.
I’d like to think there would be a substantial saving over the MEF-3 even after shipping & import costs but will have to wait and see?
Also the quality looks good and should fit a good proportion of the Takahashi range of scopes.

https://astrohutech.store/product/more-blue-precision-focuser-kit-for-takahashi-telescopes/

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2021 at 19:13, jock1958 said:

Contacted @FLO today and they’re in discussions and if all goes well they will add these products to their website.
I’d like to think there would be a substantial saving over the MEF-3 even after shipping & import costs but will have to wait and see?
Also the quality looks good and should fit a good proportion of the Takahashi range of scopes.

https://astrohutech.store/product/more-blue-precision-focuser-kit-for-takahashi-telescopes/

Now available!!!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/more-blue-precision-focuser-retrofit-kit-for-takahashi-telescopes.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 28/01/2021 at 04:56, nicoscy said:

Hopefully they will add the entire range. More Blue rings are a thing of beauty!

As well as that focuser upgrade @FLO have added lots more “More Blue” goodies!

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well bit the bullet and bought the More Blue focuser for my Tak FS-60, thanks @FLO

Everything is neatly packaged and beautifully engineered, it comes with everything as per the pictures on the FLO website including a couple of Allen keys, however one thing they need to add is a spring spanner to remove the attachment screw on the Tak pinion cover, luckily I already have one from the Starlight FT pinion focuser kit for my FC-100DL. 

There are no written instructions provided but the Astro Hutech video is self explanatory and it only took 15 mins or so to fit, maybe @FLO could add this video later?

I haven't tried it in anger yet but initial thoughts are it is very smooth in operation with a nice weighty feel, very similar to the FT focuser on my FC-100DL and just what I need to hit the tiny focusing sweet spot of the FS-60.

IMG_1183.jpeg

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks good 👍🏻
It looks like you don’t use the original Tak pinion cover: there seems to be a knurled brass screw instead. Is that right?

How do you tighten that screw? - I can’t see a slot for screwdriver. 

You use the original Tak pinion cover and attach it using the brass screw provided finger tight only. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jock1958 said:

You use the original Tak pinion cover and attach it using the brass screw provided finger tight only. 

Could you use the original Tak screw (with the two holes) instead, as you would with the Tak OEM microfocuser?

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I’m more thinking of retaining the original look:

image.thumb.jpg.c07565a095f71ab49429a2cf58308ccf.jpg

Yes I get that, I think on this new version the metal bracket is thicker, which was needed TBH, and there is a nylon washer so I think the original would be too short, the thread on this new brass one is a lot longer..👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

And no point in tightening more!  On a Tak focuser this decorative cover attaches to the adjustable pinion cover underneath which just floats around on 2 adjustment screws.  On a Vixen focuser the cover does both functions and is (or should be) solid shimmed (for adjustment) from the focuser body with four screws - it's called engineering! Seems to me that Takahashi have fine fit and finish but Vixen are well made. I'll see how often the Tak has to be adjusted and hope it does not drop off one night!

The finer focuser ? Nice enough but I can just manage with a fine fingered touch on my smallest eyepiece so not yet.🤔