Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIAIR driving me bonkers

Davey-T

It's possible those additional files get added when the RPi is updated or something like that (and it may depend on exactly which version of the RPi is being used).  The .dtb files are a "device tree blob" or something like that and I believe contain the firmware for the RPi's hardware.  What you're looking at is, I think, the /boot directory.

James

OK this makes a little more sense to me . You have made a backup disk and used that to create a copy, that's not the same as creating a new sd-card which writes out the boot information.  The boot header created was a windows one hence all the files being shown in each partition.

How did you create the backup?  I'd be interested to see any link explaining this and how it should be used for a restore, as the only ZWO info on backups I've seen indicates using a downloaded image file written to a clean sd-card.

That's not to say that a Linux backup is a bad thing to do, done hundreds of Unix & Linux ones for work with no issues but those were normally on the Unix/Linux machines 🙂

Hi all.  Been watching/reading from afar but being a new ASIAIR Pro user I spent a lot of time on google whilst the clouds covered everything.  Found this great YouTube vid on making a Back Up, which worked well for me.  I now have 2 SD cards that can boot the ASIAIR if needed.  Hope it is of help. 

Jody

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Hi all.  Been watching/reading from afar but being a new ASIAIR Pro user I spent a lot of time on google whilst the clouds covered everything.  Found this great YouTube vid on making a Back Up, which worked well for me.  I now have 2 SD cards that can boot the ASIAIR if needed.  Hope it is of help. 

Jody

Thats the one I followed and the created SD card doesn't boot the ASIAIR.

Did you use Windows or Mac ?

Dave

Dave

43 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

OK this makes a little more sense to me . You have made a backup disk and used that to create a copy, that's not the same as creating a new sd-card which writes out the boot information.  The boot header created was a windows one hence all the files being shown in each partition.

How did you create the backup?  I'd be interested to see any link explaining this and how it should be used for a restore, as the only ZWO info on backups I've seen indicates using a downloaded image file written to a clean sd-card.

Used the tutorial as above, there is a Mac version but the OS on my MBP is too old and don't want to update that and open another kettle of fish.

Dave

11 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Windows.  I'm actually a Chromebook user so borrowed a friends PC to make the SD card.

Do you know what yours show if you look at them in file explorer ?

Dave

20 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

This is what I see.  You'll have to ignore the PMAC data file type...  I'm on my work PC and that's software that opens something else.

Looks same as mine wonder why the one I made doesn't boot the ASIAIR, have to try again.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

What Micro SD card did you use?  I managed to find the same as was supplied with the ASIAIR which is a San Disk Ultra 32GB HC 1.

Yes that what I used looked identical but did get a message that there wasn't enough room on it but it carried on.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Yes formatted it in Windows, didn't notice what file system it did.

Dave

Strange.  However when I ran through the process I didn't get any error messages about disk space.  It took an awfully long time, about an hour and half including the ripping using Win32 Disk imager.  Did you keep the image as a file or have you got to go through the whole process again?

3 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Strange.  However when I ran through the process I didn't get any error messages about disk space.  It took an awfully long time, about an hour and half including the ripping using Win32 Disk imager.  Did you keep the image as a file or have you got to go through the whole process again?

Saved the image but will start afresh now I've successfully updated the firmware on the existing SD card.

All been a bit of a shambles since the app seized up and wouldn't clear, deleted and reinstalled the app which then insisted on updating the firmware then promptly froze again on the update page so had to delete the app again then use cable to update it eventually after another freeze and app reinstall so taken a few hours all in all and still don't know why it froze to start with.

Dave

• Like 1

I must have read over your real issue.  I thought it was the same as i had last week. I powered the asiair pro(with sd card in it), opened the asiair app on iphone, immediately got the firmware update message. I assume my app on iphone downloaded the update and transferred it to the sd in the asiair.  Knowing it should take some seconds to complete the update, it  stuck during the transfer to the asiair pro.   I just shut both off. Asiair pro(pulled the usb-c out) & asiair app.   After restarting both, the transfer continued as it should, some seconds and all finished well.  

Edited by Robindonne

13 hours ago, Robindonne said:

I just shut both off. Asiair pro(pulled the usb-c out) & asiair app.   After restarting both, the transfer continued as it should, some seconds and all finished well.  

After restarting mine was still stuck on the update failed message.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just been through the same rigamarole with ASIAIR Pro updating, seized up on the updating screen as before saying transfer failed and wouldn't shift off of it, downloaded the APP to iPhone and it updated with no trouble :icon_scratch:

Dave

Had  another gotcha a couple of nights ago and tonight with the ASIAIR Pro.

Set to stop five minutes before meridian to do flip, once stopped it freezes and have to turn it all off, park the mount and restart everything.

Have to RTFM.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Sad 1