Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad sticky tape

Stardaze

I had to move my Telrad and so I bought some double sided foam to reattach but that’s failed in a few months. Has anyone got a version that’s proven they could recommend?

Edited by Stardaze

I wanted to try out where would be best for my RACI finder on my little heritage dob. , so before drilling holes I thought I'd try mounting the shoe in a likely spot in a temporary way with some sticky pads (which I'd read various folk say were not up to the task, so I expected the RACI to peel off at some point ) to see if it was the best location. That was early November, and the shoe is still stuck fast , even with me swapping the RACI back and forth from dob to mak. 

I used "Unibond No More Nails Permanent Strips, Adhesive Strips for Fast & Easy Mounting, Double Sided Sticky Tape for Interior & Exterior Use, Waterproof Tape, Pack of 10 " , bought (in lockdown) from Amazon, cost around £4 . I cleaned the spot on the 'scope with isopropyl alcohol and left the shoe unused for 24 hours before sliding the RACI in. 

I saw suggestions that the sticky pads for car number plates were a good solution too.

Heather

• Like 2

The original “Telrad tape” they shipped with was pretty amazing, once stuck it just stayed that was forever, never worried about adding screws or zip ties. Of course I didn’t store the scope with the telrad attached so it wasn’t loaded too often. I am sure 3M do something even better now

Peter

For removing pad remnants look up Servisol Label Remover.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/servisol-AV-701-112UK-Remover-Adhesive-Sticker/dp/B007JV7CYU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=GAJ5OP7ZVFC6&dchild=1&keywords=label+remover&qid=1611652018&sprefix=label+remover%2Caps%2C270&sr=8-7

Expensive from this link compared to other places. It was the first link I found while typing.

I always keep a can or two in the garage. It has a citrus type smell and I have yet to see it damage any paint.
It doesn't degrade your skin if you start picking at wet remnants.
Even a bit of remover remaining on the surface will degrade future fixing so clean well after use. I sometimes use IPA. These days you might have 70/30 IPA/water spray, which will work.
If the pad/label has been on for years and is rock hard, just be patient. Spray and go away for half an hour.

If using on plastic coated or metal coated, labels, obviously you have scratch the label surface to allow capilliary wicking into the adhesive layer.

HTH, David.

• Like 1