Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is this adapter called?

I have a few eyepieces that have an adapter mounted on the eyepiece that enables me to screw the eyepiece into my T-ring for my camera. I also have another set of eyepieces that have a couple different magnifications and a barlow lens. I was wondering what the adapter was called so I could put these on my other eyepieces. 

lens.jpg

• Like 1

Yea I've attempted searches with t-adapter, eyepiece adapter, t-ring eyepiece adapter and no luck. The set of lenses that have the adapter on them are the 1.25 Celestron Nexstar Plossl. There are 2 of those. I also have an adapter on a 1.25 Celestron OMNI Plossl. This tells me it's not just a certain eyepiece. These just thread on where the rubber eyepiece relief is removed. Oh well, I'll keep searching. Lol 

Have you considered an eyepiece projection unit (i.e. EPU)?

Just remove the rubber eye guard and insert the eyepiece. Below is mine shown in the centre and right of the images and made by Beacon Hill Telescopes.

post-4682-0-68543300-1394159105_cropped.jpg.df346f2e694d80a8f95318583cbdef1a.jpg  cropIMG_0386.jpg.c91450af54af870709286c710e543243.jpg

Other types are 'variable' so you can get the top eyepiece lens closer to the DSLR sensor or camera lens if using a digital compact camera.

This image of the Montes Appeninus region of the Moon was taken with my ETX105 using the adapter with a Meade 20mm Plossl inserted and a digital compact camera.

p3130001-enhanced.thumb.jpg.4d5cc4989d96b52e2bb88531e6f6e710.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Philip R said:

Have you considered an eyepiece projection unit (i.e. EPU)?

Just remove the rubber eye guard and insert the eyepiece. Below is mine shown in the centre and right of the images and made by Beacon Hill Telescopes.

Other types are 'variable' so you can get the top eyepiece lens closer to the DSLR sensor or camera lens if using a digital compact camera.

This image of the Montes Appeninus region of the Moon was taken with my ETX105 using the adapter with a Meade 20mm Plossl inserted and a digital compact camera.

I actually bought a variable adapter. It's for  1.25 eyepieces but the only lens that fits into it is my 8mm. The rest are all a little too fat to go into the body of the adapter. The t-ring adapter that I'm looking for work great with my lenses. I can just screw them straight to the t-ring on my camera and drop it in to the telescope.

adapter.jpg

Edited by bsshog40

35 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

It's for  1.25 eyepieces but the only lens that fits into it is my 8mm. The rest are all a little too fat to go into the body of the adapter.

I guess eyepieces have gotten chunkier over the years just like their owners. 😉

Well I've searched every which way I could. M42 objective adapter, M42 to lens adapter, etc..... Nothing. The threaded end screws right into my t-ring so it can have any lip on it as the threaded end is pointed inward at my camera. I wonder if this is just an old style or just not made anymore? It has 3 small allen screws that secure it to the collar of the lens. Just have to remove the rubber relief and mount it there. 

Lens without adapter.jpg

If you take the ring off the ep, you can measure the inside female thread, so you will know it is a converter T2 male to ? female
something like this converter T2 male to M38 female - Bing images
Maybe it is a special made T2 ring for those ep's only...

edit:  your other ep's may need a totally different inner size ring, though...

Edited by Waldemar

On 07/01/2021 at 03:49, bsshog40 said:

I have a few eyepieces that have an adapter mounted on the eyepiece that enables me to screw the eyepiece into my T-ring for my camera. I also have another set of eyepieces that have a couple different magnifications and a barlow lens. I was wondering what the adapter was called so I could put these on my other eyepieces. 

What a superb adapter, if I understand it correctly, the adapter has a "T" ring outer thread and is held in place on the eyepiece by three grub screws? I'm searching for that so it's game on to see who finds that first....want one 👍

Perhaps it was a custom made or limited availability adapter? :icon_scratch:  In 20+ years of astro shopping, I can't recall ever seeing one being advertised or reviewed.

It's certainly a very nice idea for eyepieces that don't have hidden M43 (or similar) or T-threads to allow for camera attachment.  It negates the need for an eyepiece clamp which are pretty dodgy anyway.

45 minutes ago, M40 said:

Looks like we have a winner!! I have 3 of these. They are all on Celestron Plossl lenses. Two are Nexstar and one an Omni. They work great and I'm looking to get a couple more to put on some other lenses so I don't have to keep taking them off. Thank you M40!! My only other question would be if all T-rings are M42 threaded? If so, these are the adapters I have. 

44 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

My only other question would be if all T-rings are M42 threaded?

Yes, all T-rings are M42 (42mm x 0.75mm thread pitch).  They are not to be confused with the M42 lens mount (universal screw mount) which is 42mm x 1mm thread pitch.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 20:20, M40 said:

I have ordered some parts from them in the past and I will recommend them... though I cannot remember what was...  something to do with either one of my two digital compact cameras at the time or for my ETX105. 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1