Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Phone app astronomy

Just now, Chett said:

I am currently using nightsky on my phone for star and planet location. Could you please share what the best app out there for information and identifying. Thank you in advance 

https://stellarium.org/release/2020/06/22/stellarium-0.20.2.html Ive used this for a fair few yeasr & imo is the best app out there

• Thanks 1

+1 for Sky Safari on mobile. I have Sky Safari 6 Plus and think it's great!

I have stellarium on the mobile as well, but I prefer Sky Safari on the mobile and Stellarium for PC

Edited by Adam1234
  • Like 1

I recommend the app Sky Safari, which I downloaded from the Apple Store to a large (13 inch diagonal) iPad. The basic app costs just £3  and it's great value for money. Easy to use, you can click on a star or a planet and it will give you a page of interesting facts.

I have two planispheres, one by Philips (UK), the other is by David Chandler (US) which I've just bought. These are good for identifying the brighter stars. Sky Safari is especially good at identifying the dimmer stars which aren't shown on planispheres. You can zoom in and see things in great detail. I've used it to identify a group of small stars in Aquarius and this was a signpost to picking out the planet Neptune which was close by.

Edited by keora

On my phone (Android) I am currently trying out Stellarium,  SkEye and Heavens Above.

I like them all for different reasons but may decide if one meets all my needs.

I have a iPad but I do not use it when observing. I like the fact that the phone fits in my pocket.

27 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Hands up all those of you that 20 years ago said we would one day be using our telephones for astrophotography? Correct, nobody!

20yrs ago I thought owning a telescope would be out of reach for me, how times have changed, some for the better & many unfortunately for the worst.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nephilim said:

20yrs ago I thought owning a telescope would be out of reach for me, how times have changed, some for the better & many unfortunately for the worst.

Yes, the technology has improved beyond belief while at the same time the world has gone crazy. 

• Like 2