SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EP31 - Sunday, 13th December 2020 7:30pm GMT - Night Time Landscape Photography by Martin Bradley (MartinB)

Grant

Long-time SGL member and moderator Martin Bradley (MartinB) has kindly offered to give us a talk he had prepared for this years cancelled SGL star party 'Night Time Landscape Photography'.

Many of you will already know MartinB and have seen the amazing images he posts on the forum and on his 'AstralPeaks' Facebook page. Martin has been photographing deep space objects for several years and more recently have been increasingly attracted to the stunning beauty of rural landscapes at night.

The talk aims to be a guide for taking widefield, nightime images which combine a landscape and the night sky.  Areas covered will include planning, composition, workflow, equipment and, if time permits, a quick Milkyway process in Lightroom.  

Attached is some notes that Martin has kindly put together which will act as a companion to his talk.

This is the second-part of our double bill on Sunday, this is at the usual 7:30pm time. We look forward to seeing lots of you there :)

Meeting details below:

Topic: EP31 - Sunday, 13th December 2020 7:30pm GMT - Night Time Landscape Photography by Martin Bradley (MartinB)
Time: Dec 13, 2020 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/97021146528?pwd=bHkvVFhZaTZWeDJNcG9JZUJZVUZtUT09

Meeting ID: 970 2114 6528
Passcode: 483065

Nightime landscape photography notes.pdf

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Am very interested in the travel tripod that Martin uses but missed it during the talk as Leicester scored :)

Alan

That is a good excuse Alan!! 🤣

It is a Vanguard 235CB   

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/collections/tripods/products/veo-2-235cb

It comes with a ball head which works very well even with my heavy Sigma 14mm F1.8 lens.  

• Thanks 1

Sorry to have missed the first few minutes I had joined the previous zoom with no trouble. The only difference I changed my Moon background to a startrail for this meeting which really shouldn't have been an issue. 

Thanks for the talk, it was good to see.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Sorry to have missed the first few minutes I had joined the previous zoom with no trouble. The only difference I changed my Moon background to a startrail for this meeting which really shouldn't have been an issue. 

Thanks for the talk, it was good to see.

I saw your star trail right at the end, it looked great!

Thank you, it exemplified the opposite of good placement as my focal foreground objects were two house TV aerials but needs must when making the most of the imaging opportunity given and I had been hoping for a comet, I think the small scale image helped hide this. I like the ease of startrails as they can be quite dramatic with helping placement with the landscape.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Thank you, it exemplified the opposite of good placement as my focal foreground objects were two house TV aerials but needs must when making the most of the imaging opportunity given and I had been hoping for a comet, I think the small scale image helped hide this. I like the ease of startrails as they can be quite dramatic with helping placement with the landscape.

Even ugly man made structures like TV ariels/transmission towers/pylons/satellite dishes are fair game to me...

Alan