NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie thats lost his way

Ripcurl330

Hello all, I have loved simply looking up at the stars and admiring them for what they look like, then I got an 8" skyquest intelliscope and its my pride and joy but I need help. I feel realy down beat by surrounding trees, street lights and everytime I get my scope in the garden everything I want to see is below the horizon or scupperd by trees arrggghhhhh I know my scope is capable of lots more but can some one give me guidance to kick start me again on several points.

1) I currently only have the supplied eye peices of 17 and 25 what should I have in my arsinal of optics?

2) being over 6 foot has anyone found the most comfortable way of viewing with a dob?

3) being in the Reading area in Berkshire does anyone have any top viewing tips

4) what is the best viewing time in this area - not fussed on specifics i.e planets,nebulie etc just want to see the skies

5) fianaly I am normaly able to normally get the scope out between 8-10 in the evening what would be the best viewing at this sort of time

I hope this does not make me sound lazy as I am sure I can research these over time but the bug in fully in my veins and impatience and wanting to hear it from your experience make me believe more than any book that has been written from someone who has never seen the uk skies.

Thank you for your time even reading this wafle.

1) I currently only have the supplied eye peices of 17 and 25 what should I have in my arsinal of optics?

So you have magnification powers of 48x and 70x. I think you need a 2x Barlow, which will give you the powers 96x and 140x. The TAL Barlows have a very good reputation but I don't have one of those so can't really say.

Hi

In terms of finding objects in the sky, Stellarium software (free) is great for getting to know your way around the sky and has helped me track down a good few Messiers now, not to mention planets and the constellations.

I had great fun the other night tracking down Uranus, which is easy to find at the moment because it is only a couple or so Moon widths away from Venus. Even in my 88mm birding scope I could see a tiny but distinct blue disc, quite different to the nearby stars. I imagine in your bigger scope it would look even better.

So, if you can get the scope out while Venus is still highish up (say before 6.30pm), by using Venus as a guide, in conjunction with a star map, try hunting down Uranus. If you find it you'll have a real sense of achievment. Saturn is also up later in the evening at the moment too.

More experienced folk will be able to give you more advice.

Dave

Welcome to SGL Ripcurl. It's a great scope you've got and with those eyepieces you should be able to pick out M81 and M82 which are quite high so should have no trees in the way. The clusters in Auriga are a delight to see and are well within reach of what you've got. :)

Sam

thank you all for your kind words and help, it has given me the big bug now to get out there and see the skys and I cants cause its RAINING AGAIN arrgghh. :) Its like buying a new tv, getting it home and finding out you have a power cut! Hello once again to you all and I look forward to chatting to you and listining to you guidance.

Welcome there Ripcurl...

M42 in Orion is always a pleasure to look at. As for observing position, get a adjustable chair - you need to spend quite a bit of time bent over in this game!

Also, try Cartes du Ciel - http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/ - also free, and very good. Stellarium is great, but a bit too pretty for my liking - you'll never see anything like that in the real sky!

Cheers,

Richie

cheers Richie, Orion has always captivated me probably like most people but the real main one is the picture you have with your profile, the colours on the image ae quite humbling, never remember what it is called, like the tune that stays in you head when you turn the car radio off and it stays with you all day and never get pas thte chorus, you know it but can never remember.

Top viewing tip for you .... go to www.hantsastro.org - I'm from Fleet and so not too far from Reading - we have 3 dark sky sites down to -20 on the meter and whilst they're near portsmouth you can probably do it in an hour and do your observing with other like minded individuals and get some help when you need it

Welcome to SGL :).

2) being over 6 foot has anyone found the most comfortable way of viewing with a dob?

Use a chair, preferably a portable one such as a camping or picnic chair as they tend to be lower. I'm 6' 3" and a chair is essential when I'm using my dob.

Tony..

Hi, I would also recommend a chair of some kind, I'm 5'6" and find that with an ordinary garden chair I can get comfortable by either sitting or kneeling on it for most objects.

As for targets, I would also recommend stellarium but as a rule of thumb, Orion, Taurus, Auriga, Ursa major and minor, Andromeda and to the west Cygnus in the early evening should be visible.

Happy observing and welcome to SGL.

Archived