NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Restoring my vintage Nikon 7x50 advice required

MrZuiko

Hi Ash

yeah if the glue is wet and just applied then things will slip, helps so that you can position things but you'd then need to be able to hold things in place with tape or some form of wrap so that is stays in the contours until set. Not so easy with an awkward shape of course. Can it not be used as a contact adhesive so you wait a little until it gets a little tacky before applying? Might make it easier to apply and then bind it, a couple of alignment marks would help with placement perhaps.

Re the Saratoga, I've not tried those but they should be reasonably good, most swift's are, the Audubon and Kestrel being the cream of the crop. Russian glass I only have the Foton 7x35 roof at the mo and they are very nice. Similar to the Zeiss Noratem and very solid, good glass and sharp contrasty image. The russian TAL scopes are very nice, I have 3 of them in the 100RS, TAL-1 and the smaller TAL-M which I overhauled earlier this year. Built to last a lifetime being solid ally tubes. They do come up on the bay but of late at silly prices tho a couple fracs have sold recently for <£200 which I think is a good price for them.

Hi Dave,

I will go with the black self adhesive bandage for now as they will be here soon,a lot less mess and easier to apply I'm sure I can apply them to look neat and tidy until I decide to send them off to be recovered.

Re Swift I've always fancied the Audubon not heard of the Kestrel before! your Tal-1 is it on the factory motorised eq mount? I suppose we shouldn't be discussing scopes here!

I'll update when I have covered the Nikon's.

Ash.

No worries Ash, hopefully the tape will give a nice finish and tide you over till you revisit the recover job 🙂

My TAL-1 is non-motorised, its an older 1995 model that had the Russian 32mm fit eyepiece set but I've since fitted a TAL 1.25-inch focuser to it. Meant shifting the mirror up the tube to get focus but that wasn't hard to do, longer bolts and springs, job done. I really bought it for just the 25mm plossl for the TAL-M but figured I can easily mod the scope to make it more flexible and it is very nice to use, returns nice images with regular eyepieces and as good as the SW130 I have, if not better being much more stable.

Hi Ash

The leatherette arrived this morning so have had a quick test on the M9000 grip having removed the hard crumbling rubber. Cut a rough template in paper and then cut out a section to match.

image.png.c1d2e901d0ba4dd487c8df79b6f29a69.png

It'll need glue around the edges for sure and at the tucks where I've had to take narrow triangles out to cope with the curves in the grip. Probably I'll apply some glue lightly across the entire grip tho as it won't be ideal if it slips in use. I think it'll be a suitable solution to restore the camera grip tho so pretty pleased. I'd happily use this on binos but again would add some glue just to increase adhesion.

One advantage of the sticky-back stuff, you can fit it, get it aligned right then peel back a bit to apply glue knowing the rest stays put and then it stays aligned. So after doing that and binding with masking tape, repeat on the other side. Here's the finished grip.
image.png.68225fd93bfd6f38cc2b5b2260403f12.png

Could've been slightly thicker to match the ridge edges but it'll do nicely I think 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59

21 minutes ago, lenscap said:

Nice work!   Is it worth testing a scrap of the leatherette to see if it heat-shrinks?

If so, applying some local heat might help to get  it to conform to curves, or remove or reduce bubbles & creases.

yeah I was thinking that but watching F1 Qualy at the time so wasn't an ideal opportunity to try 😉 If it comes away and needs to be redone tho I would likely try and see if it can be heat molded into a single piece fit. Perhaps lay in hot water so its is extra flexible and then stretch if into place until it sets to shape, then trim and glue. This camera is retired tho so won't be seeing any real use, it just bugged me having owned it from new and costing me a fortune at the time.

Funny how a lot of the top brands rubberised coverings degrade so badly tho, seen similar comments on other big brands so isn't just Minolta and yet some of the cheaper end of the market stuff just goes on forever 😞 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Nice jobs fella.......I've spent a while re-working the skin for my binos so frustrating because of the design,my black self adhesive bandages will be here Monday so I'll try and get a neat wrap out of them as I feel without the correct templates for the skins I'm just wasting my time! last resort send them off when funds allow.

Ash.

Edited by MrZuiko
  • Thanks 1

Yet another update!!

Black bandages should have been here today....now saying Wednesday 😡 so I thought why not try my leatherette skins as I have managed to make the skin one piece.........used Evostik contact adhesive....all was going well until applying firm but even pressure around the front when the leatherette lost it's shape and had stretched which left the grain a very weird shape.

I took it off as I wasn't happy with the result............the leatherette must have reacted with the glue...too hot? so I've glued a small patch with the original Evo-stik grab glue taped it down and I'll leave it for an hour or so see if it's taken,if so will mean it will take a while to cover as I'll have to glue and apply tape in sections.

Feeling slightly annoyed as I didn't expect to have problems with the glue....

Ash.

Edited by MrZuiko

ouch, perhaps that Evostik reacted with the leatherette, I recall original evostik used to smell pretty potent so perhaps the solvents in it are too strong for the material you're using. I used the Bostix leather glue when I did the camera handgrip which worked ok and isn't strong smelling. Once you have a section stuck well, no reason you can't then do a larger section either side of it next and then secure it down with tape. At least the alignment is there and fixed which will make the remainder easier.

For the camera grip I had to do that in 3 passes so it'd form into the dip at the upper end, then the main grip body and sides and lastly the edge around the battery bay. I did have a slight overlap at one edge but that was an easy trim with a blade once the glue had set. Didn't use lots of pressure as I applied it over the wet glue, so just enough to get it bedded in and push any air out then tape down tight till it had set.

Hi Dave,

Yes the Evostik is pretty powerful stuff works fine on wood etc because I used this type of glue to bond some formica and plywood years ago for a dobsonian mount I was making.

I'm reluctant to keep buying more glue as I've just looked and the tester patch that I glued earlier failed too so I think the black bandage is my only course of action now! What cement did Nikon use I wonder.

What about extra strong double sided tape?

Edited by MrZuiko

tape might do, perhaps the double-sided carpet tape as that'd have a strong bond, or 3M and similar high strength type. Hard part will be to make the join areas survive handling and not lift.

This stuff might work tho it seems to be foam type so gaps between strips of tape will show
3M VHB 5952 Adhesive Tape Simple Permanent Bonding with Double Coated Tape, Filmic Liner, 19 mm x 3 m, Black, 1 x Roll of Tape: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

or this wider one
3M 5925 Double Sided Tape, Roseberry Heavy Duty Mounting Waterproof VHB Foam Tape, 4.8m Length, 24mm Width for Car Decor,Home Decor and Office Decor: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Edited by DaveL59

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I have tried and tried to cover these binoculars in leatherette to no avail.......I will leave it to the experts recover to when funds are available and I've found a new job!

For now I've covered them in the black self adhesive bandage!

Have a good Xmas all and keep safe.....oh yeah ask Santa for some clear skies!

Ash.

Tropical's.jpg

Tropical's 2.jpg

Edited by MrZuiko
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MrZuiko said:

Afternoon all,

I have tried and tried to cover these binoculars in leatherette to no avail.......I will leave it to the experts recover when funds are available and I've found a new job!

For now I've covered them in the black self adhesive bandage!

Have a good Xmas all and keep safe.....oh yeah ask Santa for some clear skies!

Ash.

Tropical's.jpg

Tropical's 2.jpg

Are you any good at knitting? 🙂

Seriously, tho: great result!

10 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

well done, hopefully less cold on the hands when using them and doesn't look so bad. Heck I'd not be in a rush to get them re-done at cost so long as they look reasonable and are usable 🙂

Hi Dave,

Yep didn't turn out too bad in the end....I'm happy with them but OMG I won't be buying this design again just in case it needs new leatherette..........which I might add I've got loads left over because I ordered a slightly thinner roll 0.8mm vs 1.5mm to see if that helped.......oh wait it didn't!! 😉  I've just treated a test patch on a tin can with a resin we used to seal in a reclaimed "pallet" wooden kitchen I built and fitted....well it was just the floor and work surfaces with a natural looking waterfall effect to see it if seals in the bandage,so if all looks good I will seal the covering and post the last picture in this saga!

Regards Ash

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Are you any good at knitting? 🙂

Seriously, tho: great result!

Thanks well come to think about it I was quite handy with the knitting needles my nan taught me a long time ago lol!.......a word of advice......if you have a pair of bins like this design e.g one piece and they require a new leatherette jacket....save yourself  the trouble and send it away....or if you like the above look you can wrap them (5) rolls  for £5 inc p&p or go the camo look like I did as a test run, it might just start a new craze!!

Regards Ash.

• Like 1

Hi Ash

Glad you didn't use the cammo tape as if you put them down in the field, You'd probably never find them again!! 😂

Years ago I worked at a furniture shop, Carpets and fabric repairs were glued with Copydex, I just googled it and it was also stick metals so it's safe to say that it will probably stick fabric to the aluminium tubes!, Also, I wonder if the leather used for book binding is thinner than the stuff you bought?, May be easier too apply, That said, I think you did a good job with the black tape 👍

John 🙂

On 24/12/2020 at 10:53, PeterW said:

Distinctive... good job though!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks turned out ok in the end! I've got two more rolls left so will apply another layer and then seal them with a good coat of resin sealer I tried a patch on a tin can and it turned the bandage a bit darker which I don't mind and seals the fabric tight.

Ash.

19 hours ago, markse68 said:

They look great Ash- nice work- very distinctive! they look a bit like a part of a performance exhaust system or something NASA would have used for the moon landings (do they have bins on the ISS? 🤔)

Mark

Hi Mark thanks I'm happy now that their functioning now if we only had some clear nights! I'm gonna add another layer and seal them with resin.

You never know I might have started something!

Ash.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2020 at 01:49, johnbaz said:

Hi Ash

Glad you didn't use the cammo tape as if you put them down in the field, You'd probably never find them again!! 😂

Years ago I worked at a furniture shop, Carpets and fabric repairs were glued with Copydex, I just googled it and it was also stick metals so it's safe to say that it will probably stick fabric to the aluminium tubes!, Also, I wonder if the leather used for book binding is thinner than the stuff you bought?, May be easier too apply, That said, I think you did a good job with the black tape 👍

John 🙂

Hi John,

Like the double pun regarding the camo tape as my surname is Field!

Tried that Copydex glue it stank.......but didn't hold, 0.8mm thick leatherette I thought would have worked,I used duck permanent double sided tape whci was cleaner than using contact adhesive as you didn't get and massing and causing a ridge under the leatherette etc etc but the next problem came while I was gently heating up the leatherette with a hair dryer to help with the contours......it left the tape on the body.

So I thought enough is enough and went with the black bandage tape. Like I've mentioned gonna apply another layer and then seal them job done!

Ash.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrZuiko said:

Hi John,

Like the double pun regarding the camo tape as my surname is Field!

Tried that Copydex glue it stank.......but didn't hold, 0.8mm thick leatherette I thought would have worked,I used duck permanent double sided tape whci was cleaner than using contact adhesive as you didn't get and massing and causing a ridge under the leatherette etc etc but the next problem came while I was gently heating up the leatherette with a hair dryer to help with the contours......it left the tape on the body.

So I thought enough is enough and went with the black bandage tape. Like I've mentioned gonna apply another layer and then seal them job done!

Ash.

Hee hee!! 😀

Sounds good Ash 👍

I can reacall when I was quite young using copydex on sofas and chairs that had got damaged in the warehouse although they had a hot welding contraption for vinyl but no one knew how to use it!! 😬😂

It always did a good job, I wonder if it's been changed now due to COSHH or something, It was in the mid 70's I worked there!!

Regards, John 🙂

heh yeah I recall copydex back in the 70-80's, stank like long dead fish even tho it worked. If I recall we used it along the cut edges of carpet to seal so things wouldn't unravel since it dries clear unlike evostik. Sadly lots of the stuff that was good back then have changed, various regs since the EU and of course awareness of carcinogens etc. Same for lens glass since they can no longer use lead and other exotics.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1