Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan lights on but nobody home

astromog

A couple of years ago I bought a SkyWatcher Mak 127 with a Goto mount. I only use the scope a few times a year, and have been wanting to have a look at Mars with it being close at the moment. However when I powered my scope on yesterday the SynScan hand controller lit up but didn't show anything on the display. The battery pack I use was delivering 12.5V, but have recharged it fully just in case as I know these units are very sensitive to voltage and now delivering 13.8V but screen still blank except for the back light. I have read that it's possible to get these into a state where the brightness / contrast settings leave the screen apparently blank but 1. don't remember fiddling with those controls recently 2. don't seem to get any response at all from the controls - normally I'd expect to hear the whirr of the gears moving when pressing up/down/left/right buttons, but these seem to do nothing.

Is there anything I can do, or has it had it?

Thanks in advance.

This thread on CN suggests the cable connectors are a possible, or contrast set too high/low
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/615204-lcd-blank-on-synscan-controller/

Also suggestions of opening the handset and cleaning the contacts including the keypad which may help too.

This might be worth a try too tho he had a display that was working so a different issue, but nothing to lose trying I guess (found on east mids astro forum)

Switch off the mount.

Disconnect the hand set from the mount.

Hold down buttons 0 and 8 and plug the power supply into the hand set (whilst still holding the buttons down).

The hand set will display INITIALIZING and then go on to display the firmware version loaded. It will also bleep for a short while. Release the buttons.

Give it a few seconds and then disconnect the power supply.

Re-connect everything as normal and hopefully you'll be back in business!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Where had you stored the equipment since last use?

Inside, assembled. I leave it set up as the occasions when there is both good weather and I have time are few, so need to be able to grab it, take it out into the garden and use. Most often I just use bins for a few mins, or even just use my eyes. The sky is amazing :)

40 minutes ago, astromog said:

I have found this, should this work?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-wifi-adapter.html

Are all the SynScan mounts / handsets etc. compatible? My concern is that  it will need an upgrade, and the mount I have has a serial interface, which none of my computers have.

Thanks in advance

What mount do you have ?

1 hour ago, astromog said:

Are all the SynScan mounts / handsets etc. compatible? 

All the newer handsets are compatible with the AZ-Goto. 

it will need an upgrade, and the mount I have has a serial interface, which none of my computers have.

Not sure what you mean by this. If you need to update the firmware on your existing v3 handset you will need a good quality usb-serial adapter to connect the serial data cable to the computer.

I don't think you can buy them on their own, so not sure what it's called, but the standard one that came with the scope:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4622_Skywatcher-GoTo-Mount-AZ-SynScan-GoTo-for-Telescopes-to-5kg.html

You can buy them I think from here.

If the WiFi adapter plug is the same as the handset plug that came with your SynScan az goto mount, then there’s a very good chance it will work. I’d get in touch with FLO and ask.

I use the WiFi adapter on my az-eq6 using the SynScan app and it’s very good. Much better in fact than the handset IMO. You can then even use SkySafari to control your mount, all via your phone, in my case an iPhone. Very convenient.

M

Edited by Captain Magenta
Typo
  • Like 1