Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first attempt at planetary imaging

ABPhotosUK

Mars 25/10/2020

This is my first stab at planetary imaging with my old Celestron 5SE, 2xBarlow and ZWO ASI290MC. Not up to the standard of others on here but pleased to bring out some detail. This really makes me want a bigger scope and mount, hopefully one day. Clear skies allπŸ”­πŸͺπŸ™‚

22_03_15.jpg

Edited by ABPhotosUK
  • Like 15

Mars can be very tricky,and needs good seeing,i have had worse images than that using a c9.25, yet when seeing is good you can get great images with smaller scopes,thats a good image you have,but seeing plays a big part.This was a 80mm scope.

mar 80mm.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Mars can be very tricky,and needs good seeing,i have had worse images than that using a c9.25, yet when seeing is good you can get great images with smaller scopes,thats a good image you have,but seeing plays a big part.This was a 80mm scope.

mar 80mm.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement Paul, I had several attempts until this night when the seeing was OK. I'd struggled with focus but used the Moon for this one. I also haven't done a fine collimation check yet. I was also wondering if my Bresser Barlow was up to the task or if a Televue would be better? Cheers, Andy

29 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I have tried focusing using the Moon but found it unsatisfactory. I focus on a star using a Bahtinov mask then slew to the planet. Collimation is crucial for planetary imaging.

Thanks Peter, I have a Bahtinov mask so will try that with Sharpcap next clear night. IΒ also don't have Goto at the moment (using a Skywatcher Star Adventurer). I tried installing Metaguide to help with collimation but it won't run on my laptop. Is there another software solution to make it easier? Clear skies, Andy

I don't use any software for collimation. You just need to use a bright star and a high power eyepiece - take it in and out of focus until you see a "doughnut" and adjust the collimation screws until it is perfectly circular. There are guides on line. Bob's knobs help enormously.

6 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I don't use any software for collimation. You just need to use a bright star and a high power eyepiece - take it in and out of focus until you see a "doughnut" and adjust the collimation screws until it is perfectly circular. There are guides on line. Bob's knobs help enormously.

Thanks again Peter, I've done a rough check but will do this next time. Would a 10mm eyepiece beΒ high enough power for my 5 inch scope or 25mm with my 2xBarlow? I've already installed Bob's Knobs so good to go. No sign of clear skies for a few days here in Devon. Best, Andy