SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Volcanic Eruption on Mars??

MarsG76

Hi All,

Sharing some more Mars images, quite possibly the last images of Mars that I'll be spending time on capturing this season, but the last image, 14th November has something strange on it.. two streaks which look like smoke plume, volcanic like, smoke plumes being blown in a direction away from the eruption.... Is it possible that Mars is still active?

Mars 10-11-2020_1025 Label.jpg

Mars 10-11-2020_1235 Label.jpg

Mars 14-11-2020_1111 Label.jpg

Edited by MarsG76
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

Remember this vapour plume on Mars?image.jpeg.6acc062be0ae0ac59d41724d0215b193.jpeg

No eruption that time either unfortunately. There is seismic activity ... so possibly one day Mars might reawaken??😄🤔

Vapor plume??? that is a extremely long for a vapor plume...

Can you imagine Olympus Mons erupting... while capturing a time lapse animation.

Edited by MarsG76

On 21/11/2020 at 18:34, MarsG76 said:

Vapor plume??? that is a extremely long for a vapor plume...

Can you imagine Olympus Mons erupting... while capturing a time lapse animation.

Yes, ... I agree with you .... astronomer scientists are finding certain Martian clouds hard to explain it seems. 
This from Nature Feb 2015 ... from an observation from @  2012.

https://www.nature.com/news/martian-mystery-cloud-defies-explanation-1.16924

This elongated trail, which I read was explained away as formed by temperature differential of rising air over the peak of the ‘extinct’ volcano creating a vapour trail cloud. Hmmm ... wouldn’t we have been seeing these all the time ? ... instead of once in a blue moon? Unusual it sustained so long over such a long distance - as you mentioned.
Something clearly doesn’t fit in the Theory about the nature/composition of the Martian atmosphere, rate of sublimation if these clouds are formed by water vapour or floating ice crystals as some have proposed.

(snow clouds?! - on Mars ... surely not?🤔)

This article from New Scientist talks about frozen carbon dioxide and solar bursts/burps(?) as a long shot explanation for general ‘clouds’ seen:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2086907-unexplained-plume-over-mars-could-be-caused-by-solar-outburst/

- but most can’t see a solar burst triggering a narrow trail like this. 

Edited by Drifter
Addition of data

19 hours ago, Drifter said:

Yes, ... I agree with you .... astronomer scientists are finding certain Martian clouds hard to explain it seems. 
This from Nature Feb 2015 ... from an observation from @  2012.

https://www.nature.com/news/martian-mystery-cloud-defies-explanation-1.16924

This elongated trail, which I read was explained away as formed by temperature differential of rising air over the peak of the ‘extinct’ volcano creating a vapour trail cloud. Hmmm ... wouldn’t we have been seeing these all the time ? ... instead of once in a blue moon? Unusual it sustained so long over such a long distance - as you mentioned.
Something clearly doesn’t fit in the Theory about the nature/composition of the Martian atmosphere, rate of sublimation if these clouds are formed by water vapour or floating ice crystals as some have proposed.

(snow clouds?! - on Mars ... surely not?🤔)

This article from New Scientist talks about frozen carbon dioxide and solar bursts/burps(?) as a long shot explanation for general ‘clouds’ seen:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2086907-unexplained-plume-over-mars-could-be-caused-by-solar-outburst/

- but most can’t see a solar burst triggering a narrow trail like this. 

The "long shot explanation", "unexplained" and strange shapes and bahaviour all give me the hope for something great and rare about to explode.

On 21/11/2020 at 11:36, Drifter said:

Remember this vapour plume on Mars?image.jpeg.6acc062be0ae0ac59d41724d0215b193.jpeg

No eruption that time either unfortunately. There is seismic activity ... so possibly one day Mars might reawaken??😄🤔

First off, your images are amazing, such detail.

I don't think it is possible for any planet which is largely geologically inactive to suddenly become more active. Geological activity such as volcanoes, shifting of crust etc are driven by heat within a planets core or, gravitational forces acting on the body therefore creating friction and heat. In the case of mars it does not suffer such gravitational forces enough to cause enough friction.  If it were geologically active enough to cause active volcanoes in present time it would have to be due to internal heat and upheaval which so far hasn't been enough to cause such violent phenomenon as volcanoes. Mars has cooled to a point where it has passed that phase in it geologic history, any recurrence of such events would have to involve a reintroduction of heat which (i am not a geologist) but, i cant see how that could possible happen. To clarify, i don't mean Mars may not have enough stored heat for a volcanic eruption, what i mean to say is if Mars were inactive, it cannot suddenly reawaken.

if i am incorrect  feel free to weigh in and school me., anybody out there. 

Edited by Sunshine

Not my images, Sunshine ... ( strange having to say that ... I feel like Windsor Davis in “It ain’t half hot, mum”!) .... got the images from a newspaper article. My equipment combination is not that powerful!😋

Agree with what you say about dormant planets and the unlikeliness of renewed volcanic action  .... however new evidence is coming to light Mars is not as ‘dead’ as scientists imagined:

140 odd seismic events .... do you want your Martini shaken and not stirred, Mr Bond? 🤔

A sizeable meteor impact might trigger a local effect around fractured lava tubes of this giant volcano - Volcanic spring water reserves generated by ancient liquefaction of rock might be forced to the surface through a fissure under pressure .... creating a prolonged plume for a short period of time ... until the pressure subsides and the water sublimates. That’s my guess ....

Edited by Drifter
Addition
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I don't think it is possible for any planet which is largely geologically inactive to suddenly become more active. Geological activity such as volcanoes, shifting of crust etc are driven by heat within a planets core or, gravitational forces acting on the body therefore creating friction and heat. In the case of mars it does not suffer such gravitational forces enough to cause enough friction.  If it were geologically active enough to cause active volcanoes in present time it would have to be due to internal heat and upheaval which so far hasn't been enough to cause such violent phenomenon as volcanoes. Mars has cooled to a point where it has passed that phase in it geologic history, any recurrence of such events would have to involve a reintroduction of heat which (i am not a geologist) but, i cant see how that could possible happen. To clarify, i don't mean Mars may not have enough stored heat for a volcanic eruption, what i mean to say is if Mars were inactive, it cannot suddenly reawaken.

if i am incorrect  feel free to weigh in and school me., anybody out there. 

AAAAAWWWW dont try and kill my hopes 😉

I'm not talking about re activating or adding heat.. I'm saying that science has no clue about what really inside a planet, they're only educated guesses which a constantly updated... even on earth, the deepest man has drilled into the crust is about 13km... below that it's all seismic echo interpretations... and when they basically say that between the crust and core "it's mostly the same stuff" than i'm skeptical.... and hopeful to see Olympus mons explode in my eyepiece during my life time.... call me gullible, meh.. than I'm gullible...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

AAAAAWWWW dont try and kill my hopes 😉

I'm not talking about re activating or adding heat.. I'm saying that science has no clue about what really inside a planet, they're only educated guesses which a constantly updated... even on earth, the deepest man has drilled into the crust is about 13km... below that it's all seismic echo interpretations... and when they basically say that between the crust and core "it's mostly the same stuff" than i'm skeptical.... and hopeful to see Olympus mons explode in my eyepiece during my life time.... call me gullible, meh.. than I'm gullible...

I totally understand, if you knew how much time I spent at the eyepiece glaring at Betelgeuse waiting for it to blow, you would say I’m just as gullible haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

I totally understand, if you knew how much time I spent at the eyepiece glaring at Betelgeuse waiting for it to blow, you would say I’m just as gullible haha.

Gullible is bliss....unless it actually happens and the flash is so brights that the light comes out of the back of your head.... 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Thank you... I had more soft and blurry images during this season than half decent images.... for some reason the clarity of my sky was average at best for most nights.... but after persevering I did end up with a collection of a few nice images.

I think I might have a full rotation of mars at different nights so I might be able to generate a full Mars map and create a full rotation animation.

I tried to image a time lapse (1 frame from 10% best of 50 seconds video stack captured every three minutes) of Mars rotation (and will post my results once assembled) but it always stars OK quality than get progressively worse over the night.. to the point where the last few hours are just a orange blob.

• Like 1