NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT scope temperature and seeing

Newbie question here. I understand the need to ensure relative equal temperature within the SCT and the ambient temperature. However, I always leave my photo gear outside in a sealed bag for a few hours before shooting in extreme humid, hot or cold weather, sometimes with some added Scilica gels bags. Any reason not to do the same with the scope and be rid of any problems with unwanted air flow.

Absolutely, it is a necessity.  I put my SCT into a large plastic storage box and then cover it over with a waterproof bike cover (in case of any unforseen rain showers).  I leave it outside for a few hours before observing. Works well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Absolutely, it is a necessity.  I put my SCT into a large plastic storage box and then cover it over with a waterproof bike cover (in case of any unforseen rain showers).  I leave it outside for a few hours before observing. Works well.

Thanks! I thought so.  Just wondered when reading so many "complain" about bad seeing because of scope airflow, preferring using closed scopes etc.

Can confirm that trying to use a warm SCT on a cold night (or any scope tbh) is like viewing through running water. I’ve heard that Mak’s are the worst due to the much thicker glass (but excellent once acclimatised).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

An alternative approach is to insulate the OTA, as that also reduces the air currents. 

Indeed.  That's on my list of things to do with my C9.25 as soon as a get a bit of free time.  If I'm feeing very enthusiastic I might even do the 127 Mak.

James