Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I update KStars/EKOS/INDI?

Ouroboros

2 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I can’t be alone in feeling this way surely? 

It is easier under Ubuntu to update to the latest stable release (sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade). I know that is probably of no use to you when I say that, but kstars is part of KDE, and KDE is aimed at Linux primarily.

If you want bleeding edge then you will hear the phrase "compile from source" quite often, which means to take the (latest) source code (i.e. the programming language files), and convert it to machine readable code (the actual program that the computer executes) by using a "compiler" - the program that does that conversion, most often this is "gcc" (The GNU Compiler Collection)

• Like 1

Nigh on fifty years ago I did all that sort of malarkey - compiling and machine code and what not - as part of a module on a science degree course.  So the terms are sort of familiar. However, what I learnt then is probably not much use for now. For example where do I load in the paper tape to my MacBook or switch the switches that were on the front of the PDP11 we used back then to program in machine code? 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

“.... you will need to compile from source“. I understand the meaning of the words but not combined in that particular configuration. :) 

It has struck me that whilst KSTARS/EKOS/INDI is reasonably straightforward to download and get working, and there’s even quite a good handbook, the maintenance and updates side of it feels like you have to be familiar with the black arts of computer science in order to understand what to do. I can’t be alone in feeling this way surely? 

If you are happy to stay on the latest full release versions then the updating is very easy its a single command line.

It is only if you want to access the bleeding edge Beta stuff when it does get technical I agree.  Thats not really any different to other apps is it?

9 hours ago, wornish said:

If you are happy to stay on the latest full release versions then the updating is very easy its a single command line.

It is only if you want to access the bleeding edge Beta stuff when it does get technical I agree.  Thats not really any different to other apps is it?

Isn’t it? I am one of those software users who wants a button called Update which when clicked updates the software smoothly and seamlessly without me having to do very much.  
   OK I accept that unlike for consumer software it might be more difficult to implement that sort of ‘push here dummy’ update system.  But it would be nice if someone wrote a page of instructions simply listing the actions required for us ‘dummies’ who are not one of the computer  cognoscenti. 

17 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Isn’t it? I am one of those software users who wants a button called Update which when clicked updates the software smoothly and seamlessly without me having to do very much.  

Ah, yes. There is a New Kid on The Block now. I hear that quite a few people are using it; "Windows" or something. It's at v10 now. It does all that you want re unmanned updates. It'll even do it while you're trying to use the computer for something else. So the problem there is in stopping it from updating...

It'll never catch on.

12 minutes ago, gilesco said:

I think the earliest designs, whether they were made or not, went with Paper Tape: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Turing_machine

Why is it on this site, everybody is always trying to prove other people wrong.... 🤔🤔

why can’t we all just enjoy the hobby, this is whats Ruining this forum IMHO...

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, gilesco said:

I think the earliest designs, whether they were made or not, went with Paper Tape: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Turing_machine

I think you will find Charle Babbage used "punched" cards in the deveopment of what is excepted as the Worlds first "computer" - albiet mechanical. I ignore of course Jacquard. Perhaps you should read this https://whatis.techtarget.com/reference/History-of-the-punch-card.

Sorry but if history is quoted it must be factual - not altered , ignored because it offends some people - as it seems todays society seems to do.

Ok we should start another thread if you want a debate or discussion on this subject - which I have always been told is a good thing and I take or give no offence.

Ok sorry to the owner of this thread 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

I think you will find Charle Babbage used "punched" cards in the deveopment of what is excepted as the Worlds first "computer" - albiet mechanical. I ignore of course Jacquard. Perhaps you should read this https://whatis.techtarget.com/reference/History-of-the-punch-card.

Sorry but if history is quoted it must be factual - not altered , ignored because it offends some people - as it seems todays society seems to do.

Ok we should start another thread if you want a debate or discussion on this subject - which I have always been told is a good thing and I take or give no offence.

Ok sorry to the owner of this thread 😞

No problem. I’m having a chuckle at these posts.  
In my personal time-line I used punched cards before paper tape - though they were contemporaneous in the Early / mid-70s. My preference to punched cards was to submit my FORTRAN (remember that?) programmes on paper forms to the Job Centre of the Poly’s computer department for running on the Main Frame computer.  A few years later we were using teletype machines (which took paper tape) connected to the main frame and then VDUs! Wow! 

If you want an update button and simple working maybe this is more to your liking. https://astrophotoplus.gulinux.net/installation

It assumes that you are to use a RPI (for which there is an full image - AKA like Astroberry)

Its basic (whatever that means but it does lack a few bells and whistles !) runs across Mac,Windows and any Linux browser. It uses "standard" Raspbian based  Indiserver just like Astroberry.

But for those wanting a "button" it has an UPDATE button - note this updates Indi not the computer you are accessing it from.

For those looking for a free lite Phone/Tablet control , out in the field then maybe it might be of use/help.

Did basic testing and it works on Firefox (Windows or Linux) with a DSLR ok but 34mb fits do take a number of seconds to download and display.

Not sure how often it will be updated.

It maybe of interest to some and is another string to your bow or something more to confuse you. 🙂

Thanks @stash_old.  I can never have enough confusing stuff I reckon. :) Keeps the brain ticking over.   It looks interesting. For my Cornwall rig I don’t at present intend to use the RPi type approach. I have a warm room right next to my rig so wires will do for the time being.  However I am always scheming and I have in mind a more portable rig for which the RPi approach might suit nicely. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If all you want are the INDI drivers then go to the Indi home page

https://indilib.org

And click on the Get Indi drop down. Select MacOS and it takes you to the Mac page then click on the down arrow at the bottom.

If you want to get the latest Indi and KStars/Ekos then go to the KStars page and download the Mac dmg file

https://edu.kde.org/kstars/#download

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but here goes: there's lots of information here about building Indilib from source, and so on, which I'm prepared to do. But the fundamental question is unanswered: Where in the macOS directory structure (including starting at / in Terminal) does indilib live?

31 minutes ago, RFrancis said:

I know this thread is a bit old, but here goes: there's lots of information here about building Indilib from source, and so on, which I'm prepared to do. But the fundamental question is unanswered: Where in the macOS directory structure (including starting at / in Terminal) does indilib live?

I know nothing about Macs, I wasn't even aware that indi was functional on that platform. Anyway, out of interest I did look into it. 

Just install indi and KStars/EKos will find it?

https://ports.macports.org/port/indi/

I have now exhausted my Mac knowledge! :)

On 25/10/2020 at 20:38, Ouroboros said:

I’m worried about losing all my device settings and the files used for the plate solving. 

On the side; thread seems to stretch out: On Linux it's easy to back up personal settings, and take them from one install to another, or from computer to computer. Really handy regarding those big indexfiles for local platesolving. KStars uses this directory:

/home/<your_user_name>/.local/share/kstars  (dont miss the dot)

See if you find something similar om your mac (or even Windows) and keep a backup on a USB-stick. Or burn to DVD if you can.

17 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

On the side; thread seems to stretch out: On Linux it's easy to back up personal settings, and take them from one install to another, or from computer to computer. Really handy regarding those big indexfiles for local platesolving. KStars uses this directory:

/home/<your_user_name>/.local/share/kstars  (dont miss the dot)

See if you find something similar om your mac (or even Windows) and keep a backup on a USB-stick. Or burn to DVD if you can.

Well, thank you all who dug up this archeological thread and then took the time to respond. I’m afraid I moved on to using an ASIair,  which does everything and probably more than I was doing with KStars etc three years ago - and certainly more reliably and intelligibly. 

On 03/01/2024 at 12:41, dph1nm said:

If you are on a mac you might take a look at indigo, https://www.indigo-astronomy.org/for-users.html, which appears to be a fork of indi, but seems more macos oriented.

NigelM

Thanks for that -- but ... having just got up to speed with INDI/Ekos, this look like another rabbit-hole to get lost in (BTW, when I say, up to speed, that's only at the user interface level. I remain in the dark where this stuff lives on my file-system)