Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Repairing a 1.25" Baader Filter

carastro

Couldn't find a relevant forum for this, so hope here is OK.

My Baader luminance filter has fallen out of the mounting together with a ring.  I had been wondering for a while what was rattling inside the EFW.

I put the filter back in and pushed the ring back in after it, but it still seems to be loose.

I contacted Baader but they tell me to stick it back in with a thin strip of Scotch tape, which seems a bit odd to me, as where do I stick the tape to?

Someone suggested there could have been tiny rubber washers either side of the filter, and I have yet to take the EFW apart (yet again)!! to see if anything is floating around inside, plus even when I put it together is there a right or wrong way up for the filter, and how do I tell?  Baader didn't answer that question.

So basically I am asking if any-one has even done such a repair, and if so can they offer any advice?

Luckily I have another EFW and a Hutech LP filter, so not currently without, but would like to get this working again if I can rather than ditch it. 

Many thanks

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Have you got any pictures Carole? Looks like there’s a ring held in with 3 little screws to hold plain glass filters if that’s what you’re talking about?

How are your other filters held in?

09F8F54F-3BD9-4AF6-B107-7E5085C198FB.png

edit- sorry you said 1.25” 🤦‍♂️

Is it a normal filter in 1.25” cell? The ring threads in to clamp the glass in place on my Baader 1.25” filters- no rubber

Mark

Edited by markse68

I seem to have put the ring back in to hold the filter , but the filter is still flopping around inside - maybe I put it in the wrong side and now I can't seem to get the ring out again.  

So not much to photograph, it just looks like a normal 1.25" filter.  

Also is there a right and wrong way up and how do I tell? 

Carole 

Edited by carastro

I had a minor rattle coming from a Baader Red 1.25" filter a while back, and as @Stuart1971 mentioned, there are two tiny divets around the retaining part.  I used two cocktails sticks as I couldn't quite get the right fit and carefully turned to tighten.  It didn't need much to stop the rattle but not over tighten.

Hope this helps, but you sound one step further along than a rattle now as it's completely apart!

I can certainly try and a grab a few pics of a fitted 1.25 filter if required.

Hi Carole, I've got an Astrodon 5nm S11 that fell apart, the guy that was running Astrodon at the time said to send it to him and he would fix it or I could do it myself with a spot of super glue iy's been a while but still haven't done anything about it.

Dave

Yes I was wondering abut that but don't want to stick it until I know if I have it the right way up.  

If I point the filter to the window one side seems to have a red perimeter, and the other side has a blue perimeter.

Carole 

14 minutes ago, carastro said:

I seem to have put the ring back in to hold the filter , but the filter is still flopping around inside - maybe I put it in the wrong side and now I can't seem to get the ring out again

Did you screw it in? you said you pushed it in earlier. Maybe it got cross-threaded 

Da dah!!!  

Thanks Guys, talking to you has made some sense, and I can see a tiny tiny notch in the top of the ring, and with a safety pin was able to turn it round so it sank further into the filter.

It now seem firm.  Just need to clean the filter up now after all the man handling. 

Lets hope it is the right way up. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

What does "nipped up" mean? 

Carole 

Well if screwed in, and glass is rattling, just tighten the locking ring a tad....assuming it is a screw in lock ring, and yes they may have to go in a certain way around the fit snuggly against the glass...👍😀

• Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 15:28, david_taurus83 said:

Its not unusual for filters to rattle around in their cell. You don't want the retaining ring too tight. Ive had some 2" light pollution filters come loose after a while.

They should not move around in the cell, as if they do they will play havoc when making flats...as the dust bunnies will also move around... 👍

45 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

They should not move around in the cell, as if they do they will play havoc when making flats...as the dust bunnies will also move around... 👍

Yes that's true. Especially if they are close to the sensor. I was pointing out that its not uncommon for the rings to come loose. They should never be over tightened though.

• Like 1