Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Linux

turboscrew

Just for info, I tried out both Astronomy Linnux 18.04 and Debian Linux 10 with Astro pure blend.

I'd recommend Astronomy Linux, because it has more, and more modern tools, and Debian has suddenly become quite heavy.

And Distro Astro has been dead for a while.

Edited by turboscrew
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Just tried out Astronomy Linux from a freshly cooked bootable USB  using the option to install alongside. It seems to have partitioned the disk, and then perhaps failed on the GRUB install, so I don't get the option to boot into my old system. It then ran an update, which failed on one package and aborted. The "broken" packages are "indi-asi" and "indi-full". Will keep playing with it, but please be aware the "install alongside option" may be a little risky.

• 2 weeks later...

Uruk_One is already added to Astronomy Linux 21.04

"Uruk_One is neither a Planetarium, nor a user-friendly software for a novice amateur astronomer whose aim is just to see how the night sky appears tonight. Uruk_One is aimed at experienced astronomers who study past, present and future astronomical events, historians searching for a correlation between historical and astronomical events, verification of ancient reports about eclipses and so on. For the same reason this software does not include capabilities of controlling telescopes."

On 07/05/2021 at 18:37, nameunknown said:

Just tried out Astronomy Linux from a freshly cooked bootable USB  using the option to install alongside. It seems to have partitioned the disk, and then perhaps failed on the GRUB install, so I don't get the option to boot into my old system. It then ran an update, which failed on one package and aborted. The "broken" packages are "indi-asi" and "indi-full". Will keep playing with it, but please be aware the "install alongside option" may be a little risky.

I missed this at the time.

There has been a problem with recent INDI releases because of a clash between the version of libraw provided by the standard system and the version packaged with INDI.  I suspect that might have been what you fell foul of.  It's not always a problem because it depends what other packages you may have installed that also use libraw.  Even with the latest INDI release I believe it's still a problem for Ubuntu 20.04-based distributions.  At least, that's how it looked to me last night when I updated my laptop to test a problem with Point Grey/FLIR cameras and oacapture.  As far as I recall it also causes problems with Gimp and Shotwell.

I believe that the problem should go away for any distribution based on Ubuntu 21.04, but I've not tried it in anger yet so I can't say for certain.

James

Thanks for the heads-up Oleg, I'll certainly give it a try! That "bug" in INDI (indi.asi) certainly seems to mess things up. And congrats on the software - it really looks brilliant (hopefully I'll get it working soon)

I downloaded on my win10 box and burned it to an iso on a USB stick with Etcher. The install (on a linux machine) starts with rather a long pause, just wait it out, then there are the usual questions. I used the whole disk as I was installing over the older version of the same with minimal changes (other than an update, which caused problems with the busted INDI package). I just left it alone to do its job: "ITABDFI". After the questions you can see a progress bar, which is less mystifying than a blinking cursor which looks like a computer special effect from ALIEN and gives you no idea what might burst out next. Maybe there was a voice in the background saying "DON'T PANIC" in a HHG sort of way but the flicker of the USB stick shows something is happening. Overall install took about 45-55min, with some data needing entry about half-way through so it can be left alone apart from that. First reboot has some pauses while it presumably loads stuff while displaying a "ready to go" window and a "washing machine" icon. I left it doing that for about half an hour and then hit DONE. Sofware updater failed (claiming no network connection although Firefox was working fine), so did a reboot, which gives a few more icons (extra HD's in the machine). Still getting "Failed to download repository information" - then an "up to date" - then an internal error. Will continue testing....

40 minutes ago, oleg_astro said:

Oops...

Who has already downloaded astronomy-21.04.0-2021.05.21-desktop-amd64.iso?
It has bad sources.list

I have downloaded it. What should the sources.list be changed to?

On 23/05/2021 at 16:40, oleg_astro said:
Astronomy Linux 21.04
is ready for downloads and tests

From the name, can we assume that this is based on Ubuntu 21.04 "Hirsute Hippo"?

If so, has the EFI booting bug been addressed? On certain BIOSes the system becomes unbootable. This bug has been squashed very recently.

https://news.itsfoss.com/ubuntu-21-04-upgrade-bug/ has more details.

Well, as a Newbe here I just love the discussion! I have installed and attempted to install Astronomy Linux 21.04 on two different notebook computers, one an elder Dell (which installed okay) and an HP older notebook. The later totally crashed the computer and it took several different trial and errors to get the HP back. I eventually was able to restore the HP notebook to a working order with an older version of Linux,  20.04.2 LTS. I am currently using this HP writing this message.

Based on my experience more work is needed before an official release is available for everyone. I understood that I was and am using a beta version that may cause issues and in my case a complete crash of a computer.

That being said, even with the Dell notebook  with a successful installation of Astronomy Linux 21.04, I am aware that at least with INDI and KStars I wasn't able to update either using the command line calls as given on the INDI website. When issued on the command app what is returned is a bunch of gibberish that I have no experience with Linux to even to begin understand any of it.

I keep checking to see if there are updates to Astronomy Linux 21.04 but, so far, I haven't been able to locate any. I hope that in the very near future an update release candidate will be released.

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...