Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ghosting in Mars images

Many of my Mars images show a ghosting around the planet (see sample image).  This was taken with a CPC800, ASI224MC and x2 OMNI Barlow lens.

If I get a clear evening I can try narrowing down the cause before the Mars opposition & closest approach.

The problem is obvious only when using the Barlow lens, but it seems present in some non-Barlow images but much harder to see.  It is only obvious in processed images like this one, not in the live raw image.  I have imaged Mars both with & without an ADC and once or twice with a flip mirror assembly (i.e. no diagonal or Barlow or ADC in the light path), without nailing the problem.

I have swap outs for almost all the parts (including the telescope) but to pin down the problem could be time-consuming, so would appreciate a heads-up.

Mars03_36_40.jpg

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

3 hours ago, vlaiv said:

I think this is stacking issue - try changing alignment point size and see if it helps.

That seems plausible.  I tried 11 alignpoints (instead of one) and it seemed to make the image more contrasty, but did not get rid of the ringing.   I discovered that Registax6 has a de-ringing function but it did not seem to do anything when I tried it.

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

That seems plausible.  I tried 11 alignpoints (instead of one) and it seemed to make the image more contrasty, but did not get rid of the ringing.   I discovered that Registax6 has a de-ringing function but it did not seem to do anything when I tried it.

Deringing feature is related to frequency restoration part. In process of restoring the frequencies, you can easily get ringing - which is "real" thing - but we don't like to see it in images.

Airy disk "rings" - here is image of airy disk produced by green laser:

image.png.c3b93350d5376c1223b8cbe14a22cd97.png

Same thing that produces rings around airy disk is responsible for ringing that we sometimes get.

However, thing in your image is not ringing. Here is what ringing looks like:

image.png.3f0ef2516e7f9f715f0680534a0a30ce.png

If you are using AS!3 to stack your image - try using small alignment points, like 25px or smaller. This is what your Mars should look like under alignment points:

image.png.a018d0bc6c8507f6864d55ddd9f87b6e.png

I think this is a very common problem- seen it in loads of mars pics. Sometimes mistaken for cloudy atmosphere. Not really noticed it on other planets. Is it something to do with the phase of the planet- it not being perfectly round? Or maybe the rotation of the planet shifting the details across the disk during multiple captures? 

Edited by markse68