NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to do a Meridian Flip?

smr

Hi,

I'm imaging the Veil Nebula at the moment and it looks like I'll have to do a Merdian Flip soon so that the Camera doesn't hit the Tripod Legs. 

When I used to use my Synscan Hand Controller I'd do it with that but I'm not using the hand controller anymore and instead use EQMOD and APT.

I've had to untick 'Enable Mount Limits' in EQMOD because for some reason the tracking would stop. How do I go about performing a Meridian Flip?

@smrAPT has a tool called session craft, if you check the user guide and set it up correctly APT will do it all automatically for you.

Also if you alter the mount limits in EQMOD a bit and enable them again, it won't stop tracking too soon but if anything goes wrong at least your camera won't hit the tripod.

Edited by Dinglem
added more info

12 minutes ago, Dinglem said:

@smrAPT has a tool called session craft, if you check the user guide and set it up correctly APT will do it all automatically for you.

Also if you alter the mount limits in EQMOD a bit and enable them again, it won't stop tracking too soon but if anything goes wrong at least your camera won't hit the tripod.

Thanks. How does APT know when to perform the Automatic Meridian Flip?

I'm imaging the Veil Nebula. I think it's already gone past the Meridian? If so and with how the scope is pointing does this mean I'll have to do a manual flip?

20200921_225519.thumb.jpg.2e7660ebd1272617c4e51b89214d07c2.jpg

Edited by smr

Best thing to do if you're not sure is to slew to Alberio first as that will have gone past the meridian and will move the scope to the other side of the mount. Then tell it to slew to your target and it should stay that side.

Ok I think I understand now. I started imaging the Veil Nebula at 9pm, just before it crossed the Meridian, which is why shortly after the images turned upside down. So because I've missed the Meridian Flip, I guess I'll have to do it manually.

Might be a stupid qestion and I don't mean to highjack the thread.  But if your scope is short enough and the camera isn't in the riskof hitting the tripod, do you even need to do a meridian flip?

Edited by Pryce

Pryce,

Look at the image above, the telescope is well beyond the meridian and the camera has not (yet!) hit the tripod.

With a "short" telescope set-up, yes you can continue observing without meridian flip for some time BUT inevitably at the object moves further and further west you'll run out of space and have to do a flip.