Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL's M42

Tim

I have debated and thought, and thought and debated about the best way to go about mixing the images of M42 that have been sent to me for combining with Registar.

In the end, I selected the option to include all images, and included the images already combined, just to see what came out. Taking the option of 'intersect' meant that the result was matched to SteveL's amazing image of last month as having the smallest area, and registar just fitted the rest of the data around it. As a result of the various rotations and aspects of the original images there are a few artifacts of 'edges' throughout the image, but all things considered, I thought it was worth it nonetheless.

The contributors to this image are SteveL, Roy Batty, Ant, Psychobilly, Rob Hodgkinson and myself.

The full size jpeg is only 1.3mb, so do download that to have a look at:

http://ukastronomers.com/Tim/action/download_files/fileid/104

But here is a preview. It's pretty good, no? Thanks for all the contributions guys!

11806_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Perhaps should just add that it has been processed post-registar, using PS and Noels Tools. Having the stack really helps reduce noise and enables the detail to be brought out a lot more than 'normal'

Processed Steve please.

Although I'd like to try combining two unprocessed autosave.tiff and start processing one from scratch to see if there's much difference, maybe when I have more time.

This is awesome work! I'm not normally a great fan of M42 and other nebulae, but I'm certainly ready to appreciate an outstanding effort like this one! How many inches of aperture go to make up the combined result I wonder? And how were the diffraction spikes handled (or were they simply added with Noel's tool right at the end)?

Archived